Dynamic PDP

Options

What could be stopping data from showing after applying a dynamic PDP?

I created a dashboard that has about 5 ETL Datasets. I then created a user lincesed group of 27 people and all theses users I created an attribute called GROUPING and assign the locations they can only access or see that locations' data.
I then set a dynamic PDP on each of the 5 datasets using the GROUPING attribute which is based on a location ID. When I preview them in the PDP setting page, it seems to work perfectly.
But when I go to the dashboard where these datasets are feeding to, users aren't able to see data at all, not even data pertaining to their assigned locations.

Strangely, when I toggle users from PARTICIPANT category and assign them as ADMINS they are able to see data.
What could be going on here please?
Any ideas and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@carthur do they have access to the datasets? You may need to try re-sharing the page with them.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

Answers

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@carthur do they have access to the datasets? You may need to try re-sharing the page with them.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• marcel_luthi
    Options

The last part is kind of expected, as Admin users will always have access to all data, this is implied in the option step 6 of the guide.

What does your PDP rules look like (sharing a screenshot might help)? I guess you created these in the original dataset and it's then cascading to the ETLs you've created, so it should be in a central place. If you can create a test participant user and switch him to the different "GROUPS" and log in from incognito to see how it behaves that could help a lot.

• carthur
    Options

@marcel_luthi Thanks for looking into this for me. Below is a screenshot of the PDP rule.
    Also, your guess on where the rule was applied, I don't think I applied it to the ORIGINAL datasets. I applied them to the final datasets ETL as that is what is been fed unto the created dashboard. Does that make a difference?

And everyone in the USE group has a unique Custom LOCID assigned as below in the personal account profile.

• carthur
    carthur Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Ashleigh Thanks for your suggestion, I will reshare the datasets and see. But do you mean sharing individual ETL datasets feeding the dashboard with the group or each member individually in the group?

Many thanks

• Ashleigh
    Options

@carthur if you share the page with the group it should auto share the datasets

• marcel_luthi
    Options

@carthur all seems good with the setting of the rule, unless there are typos or additional characters that make the values in the LOCID column be different than the ones actually stored on each user in the GROUP attribute 🤔 but lets hope @Ashleigh suggestion solves it for you so you don't have to go too deep into this (QQ if you remove the rule completely, the users able to see the data without you turning them into Admins? I'm sure they do are bothoth worth asking)

• carthur
    Options

@marcel_luthi Yes when I remove the PDP they see the data and therefore it is clearly something with the BETA function. Contacted DOMO and it has been raised now to the Level 3 at developers' level just FYI.

@Ashleigh 

Resharing the datasets, to people in the group and also individually still didn't solve it either. Wondering has anyone used this new function successfully?

• adam_mx
    adam_mx Member
    edited March 23
    Options

@carthur - I'm experiencing something similar with custom managed attributes being used in Dynamic PDP policies (the preview works as expected, but in practice, the user cannot see any rows of data; datasets are shared with the user). Curious, did Domo support resolve this for you already?

For additional context, if I use a "System" managed attribute, it works fine. It is only when I use a custom managed attribute that the PDP does not work.

• arijeet
    arijeet Member
    Options

@carthur and @adam_mx. Can you please confirm once whether the managed attribute which you have created is not marked with limited visibility?

Attributes with limited visibility are only accessible to the admins and hence I think everything is working fine for the Admins but not for other users.

Reference :

https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/000005164?language=en_US