Quarter by Quarter comparison

Options
damen
damen Contributor

Hi All,

I am trying to have analyzer display the percentage change from 3rd quarter of each year to 4th quarter of each year.

Currently my graph looks like this but I am unsure how to get the graph to display it

I have tried to format using a period over period chart but cannot figure out how to only show 3rd quarter to 4th quarter differences

Can someone help with formatting that?

If this helps, feel free to agree, accept or awesome it!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Period over Period charts are a bit limiting in their configuration, but you can remove the line by choosing Symbols Only in the Chart Properties → General → Line Style.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    Options

Typically when I'm looking to do something a bit different between with PoP charts I'll create my own date dimension with custom offset information. I've done a write up on this here:

This method will allow you to filter for only Q4 and show the differences between the prior quarter.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Options

Have you tried the Variance Bar Line chart in the Period over Period Charts? It shows the variance as a line for you. You can add data labels to make the values easier to see.

• damen
    damen Contributor
    edited October 2023
    Options

@MarkSnodgrass Yeah, that was my initial thought. Maybe I am misunderstanding how to input the dates into the date field?

The comparison dates seem to be an issue.

• MarkSnodgrass
    edited October 2023
    Options

It seems as though when the BETWEEN date range is selected, it does act differently. This is what I am used to seeing.

I would try using the Previous → Last and choose last 6 years (which should get you back to 2018 that I saw in your between range) and choose the Graph By Quarter and Compare to 1 quarter. You can then use the main quick filters to exclude dates past 2022, which looked like what you are doing, and not do through the date range filter.

See if this configuration works for you.

• damen
    damen Contributor
    Options

@MarkSnodgrass

Ok, so now the numbers are correct but it looks horrible.

Is there a way to take out the just values (I want to keep the quarterly bar) from the bars and only keep the variance numbers? Can I delete those long looking lines?

Thanks for your help on this though.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Period over Period charts are a bit limiting in their configuration, but you can remove the line by choosing Symbols Only in the Chart Properties → General → Line Style.