Different time zone

Options

Hi!

I'm trying to configure the time zone in ETL but my query is resulting in different times when the function calculates the difference, for the same column.

ETL time zone function:

Imported table from SQL Server:

Result after time zone changes:

The date range of the table is from Feb 24 to Mar 12.

From Feb 24 to Mar 8 everything is fine, but after March 10, the time zone difference is not the same.

Database table:

Checking:

Mar 7, 2024 11:09:46 PM - Mar 8. 2024 4:09:46 AM → Difference: 5 hours

Mar 10, 2024 1:30:57 AM - Mar 10, 2024 7:30:57 AM → Difference: 6 hours

The proportion is not the same, even using the same time zone for the same table column.

Checking the time difference between the table in SQL Server and the table imported in DOMO:

Mar 7, 2024 11:09:46 PM (DOMO) - Mar 8, 2024 4:09:46 AM (SQL) → Difference: 5 hours

Mar 10, 2024 1:30:57 AM (DOMO) - Mar 10, 2024 6:30:57 AM (SQL) → Difference: 5 hours

The proportion is the same.

Am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@VictorLuiz Once you find out which time zone the instance is set to, you can change "GMT-8" in your formula to the corresponding IANA time zone name (e.g. "America/Los_Angeles").

Answers

• MichelleH
    Options

@VictorLuiz Is your instance set to a time zone that respects daylight savings? Daylight Savings Time began on March 10, so I suspect it is related to that.

• VictorLuiz
    Options

Server date and time:

• MichelleH
    Options

@VictorLuiz What about your Domo instance time zone in Company Settings?

• VictorLuiz
    Options

I'll check with the DOMO owners, but it's probably set to US time zone.

In this case, is there any way to get around this problem without changing entire DOMO time zone?

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@VictorLuiz Once you find out which time zone the instance is set to, you can change "GMT-8" in your formula to the corresponding IANA time zone name (e.g. "America/Los_Angeles").

• VictorLuiz
    Options

Hi @MichelleH,

Just for the record, if anyone faces the same situation as me, I solved using two functions.

By relating New_York and Sao_Paulo it solved the time zone problem but it didn't bring up the correct time, so I just adjusted it by adding the time difference in seconds.