Custom User|Edit Page Grant

Culper_Jr
Culper_Jr Member
edited March 2023 in Scheduled Reports

Hello,

We are working on setting up Custom Roles to hone in on exactly what we want users to have and excluding things they don't need. I'm currently testing the Edit Pages grant and have been surprised at how many rights are connected with this. My main question is, Why do I get the ability to see People, Groups, Pages, Roles and Tool Downloads in Admin? I can see the Pages opening up but why the others? Also it surprised me to see that simply sharing a user to a page will automatically give them the admin rights to remove a person or group from a page.

Finally, when on a page and you hit the + icon you don't have the ability to add existing cards to this page without granting the Edit Cards Grant. You can however bypass this by going into the Pages Admin section and adding a card there.

In summary, I feel like the grants are too inclusive and need to be built more granular so we can have more precision in which rights we give out. Is anyone else having these same challenges? Domo, is there any updates coming down the line to make this a little more user friendly?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Culper_Jr ask your CSM.

But also, I recommend you frame your question differently. Instead of "why can i see X in the admin section", reframe it as "i want to limit this behavior." You can't change the UI / UX, but you can alter what actions people can perform.

So ... what actions do you want to control?

Also if you don't want people to be able to edit a page you can Lock it.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Culper_Jr
    Culper_Jr Member
    Answer ✓

@jaeW_at_Onyx thanks for the tip on restructuring the question. I'll do that and send it out to my CSM. Also the page lock makes sense too. I got pages and cards locked and I'm working on locking Beast Modes now too. Historically we've only had read only end users and my team that are admins so we haven't focused on locking. Now that we are looking to expand some user grants however the lock function makes a lot of sense.

Answers

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@Culper_Jr ask your CSM.

But also, I recommend you frame your question differently. Instead of "why can i see X in the admin section", reframe it as "i want to limit this behavior." You can't change the UI / UX, but you can alter what actions people can perform.

So ... what actions do you want to control?

Also if you don't want people to be able to edit a page you can Lock it.

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Culper_Jr
    Culper_Jr Member
    Answer ✓

@jaeW_at_Onyx thanks for the tip on restructuring the question. I'll do that and send it out to my CSM. Also the page lock makes sense too. I got pages and cards locked and I'm working on locking Beast Modes now too. Historically we've only had read only end users and my team that are admins so we haven't focused on locking. Now that we are looking to expand some user grants however the lock function makes a lot of sense.

• @Culper_Jr ,

I appreciate that it is a little jarring to have 'read only' users be able to see a section called 'Admin.' But it's just a name. In terms of actions, the stuff they can do is very limited, and they'll only see content that has been shared with them.

The Admin section is actually a really great way to see 'all the stuff that's shared with me.' -- so if you want to direct users around Domo with other tools, I recommend you consider setting up a landing page with compelling navigation (can be accomplished with Domo Stats and Governance datasets).

Jae Wilson