Flatten relational data for import?

Options

Hi,

First time using Domo. I have a highly relational database with about 20 tables in postgresql.

Should I flatten these tables in pgsql before importing to Domo or should I be importing all 20 tables and doing the joins in Domo?

What is best practice.

Thanks

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Most people will flatten with a view or a query that joins tables together to cut down on the number of jobs that are running. It will also reduce the number of dataset and dataflow executions, if you need to worry about that from a cost consumption perspective.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • ellibot
    ellibot Contributor
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@patrickj I'd also recommend trying out Domo's Dataset Views feature: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360046074774?language=en_US

Definitely depends on your use case in terms of flattening tables before Domo or inside Domo. If you find your pgsql connectors are running very slowly, I'd recommend doing fewer joins in the connector itself and instead try dataset views.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Most people will flatten with a view or a query that joins tables together to cut down on the number of jobs that are running. It will also reduce the number of dataset and dataflow executions, if you need to worry about that from a cost consumption perspective.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • patrickj
    Options

Thanks for the advice Mark

• ellibot
    ellibot Contributor
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@patrickj I'd also recommend trying out Domo's Dataset Views feature: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360046074774?language=en_US

Definitely depends on your use case in terms of flattening tables before Domo or inside Domo. If you find your pgsql connectors are running very slowly, I'd recommend doing fewer joins in the connector itself and instead try dataset views.

• patrickj
    Options

Thanks @ellibot I'll check them out.