How do I create a card to display the data in this way?

Display the first 13 columns in a way that only the unique values are displayed, but the rest of values are blanked since they are repeated values from the previous row. Display a new row when the values are different.

I have tried multiple ways without success; cards, filters, Magic ETL, … I know I can repeat every row, and that's OK, but would like to find a way to remove/blank repeated values; it looks a lot cleaner.

Thank you, community!
Alex

Best Answer

• jwhite
    jwhite Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Alex, no problem! I had to get a bit creative with your request, but you are able to achieve this in Domo. One of our table card options is a pivot table. These are great for a lot of things, but most relevant is visualizing data in a more readable format. That being said, they’re typically used in combination with wanting to aggregate some values. To work around this, I got creative with our FIXED BY functions. Here is the sample dataset I was working with:

And here is the pivot table view I was able to create:

To account for not having any columns we wanted included in our “Values” section (i.e. where you would normally place the cols you wanted aggregated), I created a beast mode that took the max value of your last column (which here I had named “Kind”) and used FIXED BY over all of the columns in your dataset (including “Kind” itself).

@alexbdomo let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions

Answers

• Hi @alexbdomo, not sure on how to blank out repeated values but if you want to remove repeats, you can use the Rank & Window tile to help identify duplicate rows and how you want to mark them to be excluded: https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042922814-Old-Magic-ETL-Tiles-Rank-and-Window

• Hello Amehdad, thanks for replying to my issue. I am not trying to remove duplicate rows since rows are not duplicated. I only have a handful of columns that have the same values and wanted to find a way to blank them. I am able to do it in Tableau and Excel and I was looking for a way to do it in Domo as well.

Thank you.
    Alex

• jwhite
    jwhite Domo Employee

Hi @alexbdomo - looking for a bit of clarification before I answer. In your final visualization, do you want the last 4 columns included? Or are those 13 columns the only ones that need to be included in the table?

• alexbdomo
    alexbdomo Member
    edited May 2023

Hello @jwhite

Yes, I need the last 4 columns included. Thank you for your time.

• jwhite
    jwhite Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Alex, no problem! I had to get a bit creative with your request, but you are able to achieve this in Domo. One of our table card options is a pivot table. These are great for a lot of things, but most relevant is visualizing data in a more readable format. That being said, they’re typically used in combination with wanting to aggregate some values. To work around this, I got creative with our FIXED BY functions. Here is the sample dataset I was working with:

And here is the pivot table view I was able to create:

To account for not having any columns we wanted included in our “Values” section (i.e. where you would normally place the cols you wanted aggregated), I created a beast mode that took the max value of your last column (which here I had named “Kind”) and used FIXED BY over all of the columns in your dataset (including “Kind” itself).

@alexbdomo let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions

• Hello @jwhite,

thank you for providing the solution. It works great as long as we have a limited amount of columns. I noticed the Pivot Table card can only have 10 rows.
    Creating the beast mode MAX - FIXED BY is the key to solve one of the problems of my request.

Because of the limitation of rows, I have decided to use a regular table and only use the subtotal for the first column, Status.