Can I show 2 values as a stacked bar and other values as single bars?

Options

I've been asked to create a bar chart that shows 4 values: Prior Year, Actual, Forecasted, and Goal. The request is that the Actual and Forecasted amounts would stack on top of each other for easier comparison but I'm struggling to find a chart type that will support this.

I looked into the Grouped & Stacked bar chart option but it doesn't exactly fit the need. Has anyone been able to create a chart like this? If so, how did you accomplish it and how was your dataset structured?

Best Answers

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@chelsea_ringl Grouped and Stacked bar comes to mind for me but you may need to change some of the settings for it. I think there is a way to customize how many bars you stack so you can have it only stack 2 and then the rest would not be stacked. You may need to do custom sorting so it appears in the right order and stacked the correct ones.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I do this for year to year trend comparisons using chart type "bar line". I set the data range to the increment (month, quarter, etc). It gives me the current year as a bar and the prior 3 years as line overlays. As the year progresses, we see the performance comparison.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

Answers

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@chelsea_ringl Grouped and Stacked bar comes to mind for me but you may need to change some of the settings for it. I think there is a way to customize how many bars you stack so you can have it only stack 2 and then the rest would not be stacked. You may need to do custom sorting so it appears in the right order and stacked the correct ones.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• chelsea_ringl
    Options

Thank you @Ashleigh! I will keep playing around with the Grouped & Stacked chart type. I may just need to structure the dataset differently to make it work.

• Ashleigh
    Options

An alternative would be to incorporate a line to represent your goal that way you don't need as many bars. I do something similar for the same concept. I made an example in the community Domo instance that looks like this.

I think having either the prior year or the goal as the line would make sense to the user and then you only have 1 bar to compare you stacked bar to.

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I do this for year to year trend comparisons using chart type "bar line". I set the data range to the increment (month, quarter, etc). It gives me the current year as a bar and the prior 3 years as line overlays. As the year progresses, we see the performance comparison.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **