Need Tips for Optimizing Data Visualization in Domo

Options

Hi Domo Community,

I'm working on improving data visualization in Domo and would love your tips. Any advice on creating dynamic dashboards and using advanced charting features?

Thanks,

Tagged:

Best Answers

• pauljames
    pauljames Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @rohan02! This is a great question. From my perspective, the more visually appealing, the more your users will think the dashboard is cutting edge.

A few comments in no particular order…

1. I think the default for many of us is to automatically create a dashboard for users. Recently, I haven't and the user experience is much better. A collection or a series of collections will work for most and removes the work you will need to do to make the dash visually appealing. :)
    2. It's super important that your dash is able to filter when you toggle click on a data graph, bubble, line. i.e. if you have multiple dataflows that have cards on your dash, ensure columns of data are named the same. Don't have the date column named 'day' on one, then on the other have 'date'. When you filter it won't update the dash.
    3. Instead of using a pie graph, use a tree map. There is just something about this easy change that makes the dash pop. In chart properties select black border color.
    4. I really like the new packed bubble graph. Think alternative to word cloud.
    5. The new correlation matrix graph is amazing. This helps the user see quickly the strength of relationship between variables.
    6. If you can think about the question the user is wanting to answer while navigating your dash, this will help with layout and simplifying the experience. Personally, I'm a fan of not having to scroll down to reach all the cards. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Use only cards that lead to user action and have them work together as a unit without having to scroll down/up.

IF I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, PLEASE "ACCEPT" MY ANSWER AS A SOLUTION. THANK YOU!

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

What are you looking to improve in your visualization?

Some general things I look out for when designing dashboards and cards is to pull in only the information that is necessary, the more data you're processing the slower your visualizations will load and respond to things like filtering.

Keep your dashboards simple, the more cards you have on a dashboard the longer it will take to generate everything.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • ellibot
    ellibot Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@rohan02, I always enjoyed this resource that Domo put out about choosing different chart types:

Answers

• pauljames
    pauljames Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @rohan02! This is a great question. From my perspective, the more visually appealing, the more your users will think the dashboard is cutting edge.

A few comments in no particular order…

1. I think the default for many of us is to automatically create a dashboard for users. Recently, I haven't and the user experience is much better. A collection or a series of collections will work for most and removes the work you will need to do to make the dash visually appealing. :)
    2. It's super important that your dash is able to filter when you toggle click on a data graph, bubble, line. i.e. if you have multiple dataflows that have cards on your dash, ensure columns of data are named the same. Don't have the date column named 'day' on one, then on the other have 'date'. When you filter it won't update the dash.
    3. Instead of using a pie graph, use a tree map. There is just something about this easy change that makes the dash pop. In chart properties select black border color.
    4. I really like the new packed bubble graph. Think alternative to word cloud.
    5. The new correlation matrix graph is amazing. This helps the user see quickly the strength of relationship between variables.
    6. If you can think about the question the user is wanting to answer while navigating your dash, this will help with layout and simplifying the experience. Personally, I'm a fan of not having to scroll down to reach all the cards. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Use only cards that lead to user action and have them work together as a unit without having to scroll down/up.

IF I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, PLEASE "ACCEPT" MY ANSWER AS A SOLUTION. THANK YOU!

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

What are you looking to improve in your visualization?

Some general things I look out for when designing dashboards and cards is to pull in only the information that is necessary, the more data you're processing the slower your visualizations will load and respond to things like filtering.

Keep your dashboards simple, the more cards you have on a dashboard the longer it will take to generate everything.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • ellibot
    ellibot Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@rohan02, I always enjoyed this resource that Domo put out about choosing different chart types:

• rohan02
    Options

Thanks for the solution guys!