How can I make a series of goals on a stacked chart?

Options

Hello!

I am trying to make a chart look like this:

I have a data set that has goals and I want the series to be the goal milestones and the filled in line to be an operators total sales. I am unsure if there is a chart that can do this or I have a workaround because there are very many goals.

My data set looks like this:

I have the milestone amount as goal number 1 and then the amount it will take to get to the next milestone, which for goal number 2 is actually 5,000,000, but will take 1,000,000 more to hit it . Should restructure my data?

Best Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You could look at using an overlay chart: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043429413?language=en_US

You can also create a beastmode in a stacked bar chart that subtracts the actual from the goal and stacks the remaining amount ontop of the actual making the stacks dynamic. We do this for tracking our progress towards goal in our sprints:

We each have a different goal amount and the bar "fills up" as we progress toward that goal by subtracting the actual from the total goal to show the remaining amount towards goal. This could be a series of milestones by adding additional fields and adding them as series.

Would either of these solutions work for you?

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• soconner
    soconner Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

@ColemenWilson I am going to try to create the beast mode for the stacked chart. How would that beast mode look?

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You could look at using an overlay chart: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043429413?language=en_US

You can also create a beastmode in a stacked bar chart that subtracts the actual from the goal and stacks the remaining amount ontop of the actual making the stacks dynamic. We do this for tracking our progress towards goal in our sprints:

We each have a different goal amount and the bar "fills up" as we progress toward that goal by subtracting the actual from the total goal to show the remaining amount towards goal. This could be a series of milestones by adding additional fields and adding them as series.

Would either of these solutions work for you?

• soconner
    soconner Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

@ColemenWilson I am going to try to create the beast mode for the stacked chart. How would that beast mode look?

• ColemenWilson
    Options

For the actual you wouldn't need a beastmode, just a sum of the actual progress. Then for the first stacked bar it would be:

CASE WHEN MAX(`Goal1`) - SUM(`Measure`) < 0 THEN 0 ELSE MAX(`Goal1`) - SUM(`Measure`) END

The next stacked bar would be:

CASE WHEN MAX(`Goal1`) - SUM(`Measure`) < 0 THEN MAX(`Goal2`) + MAX(`Goal1`) - SUM(`Measure`) WHEN MAX(`Goal1`) - SUM(`Measure`) > 0 THEN MAX(`Goal2`) END

• soconner
    Options

@ColemenWilson thanks! this is a little confusing to me because my goal numbers are rows and I cant call a row number, correct? so when you say goal2 or goal1, should I have that as a row?

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Can you add a column to rank the milestone order?

• soconner
    Options

@ColemenWilson that was my intent when I made the goal number column.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Ah gotcha! Yeah then you would just add that to your beastmode.

CASE WHEN MAX(CASE WHEN `GoalNumber` = 1 THEN `NextMilestoneAmount` END) - SUM(`Measure`) < 0 THEN 0 ELSE MAX(CASE WHEN `GoalNumber` = 1 THEN `NextMilestoneAmount` END) - SUM(`Measure`) END