[Join dataset with Regex]

Hello guys, hope you have a nice day! I am joining 2 datasets with slightly different keys. One has the structure of [random characters] + [value] + [random characters], and one is value. Could you guys suggest on how to join these 2 dataset? I'm thinking using MySQL join, combined with some regex. However I could not find a proper syntax for this. I'm also not sure if this method is possible.

Thank you for your inputs!

Best Answer

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Regex could work as long as there's a pattern with the random character prefix and suffix.

Is the prefix always only 3 characters, for example?

If that's the case you could just as easily use some substring funtions to extract the value.

https://www.w3schools.com/sql/func_mysql_substring.asp

Another way to join would be to use a LIKE comparison like this:

WHERE a.value LIKE CONCAT('%',b.value,'%')

That would also work as long as value isn't part of the random characters and still maintains its uniqueness in the across all the strings.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Regex could work as long as there's a pattern with the random character prefix and suffix.

Is the prefix always only 3 characters, for example?

If that's the case you could just as easily use some substring funtions to extract the value.

https://www.w3schools.com/sql/func_mysql_substring.asp

Another way to join would be to use a LIKE comparison like this:

WHERE a.value LIKE CONCAT('%',b.value,'%')

That would also work as long as value isn't part of the random characters and still maintains its uniqueness in the across all the strings.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"