Rename Filters? Persistent Filter Selections?

Options

Hi all,

Two questions today:

1. It it possible to rename filters as they appear at the top of a dashboard? Some of the attributes I'm using for filters have ugly names, and then Domo also adds on the "_p" to the end, so the filters area doesn't look very good visually.
  2. Is there some way to have the selection options within filters persist after leaving Domo and returning? I feel like I've seen this happen to some of my dashboards before, but I can't recreate it, and don't know how.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Yes. You can clean up field names in an ETL. This would be my recommendation for the cleanest way to ensure the names you want down the lineage from the source data.
      1. You can also use filter cards on a dashboard instead of the dashboard filters. With these filter cards you can create beastmodes with the names you want, just be sure to share the beastmodes to the dataset when saving them.
    2. Using filter views https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042923914?language=en_US You can create a filtered version of your dashboard and then save that as a Filter View. You can set that filter view as the default so that each time you come to the page that is the first view you and others see.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@PJG always recommend using filter cards instead of the default filters at the top of a dashboard. You can create a card that acts as a filter which uses whatever field you set and then you can customize the name, sorting, coloring, etc. It really helps create a more user-friendly dashboard.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Yes. You can clean up field names in an ETL. This would be my recommendation for the cleanest way to ensure the names you want down the lineage from the source data.
      1. You can also use filter cards on a dashboard instead of the dashboard filters. With these filter cards you can create beastmodes with the names you want, just be sure to share the beastmodes to the dataset when saving them.
    2. Using filter views https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042923914?language=en_US You can create a filtered version of your dashboard and then save that as a Filter View. You can set that filter view as the default so that each time you come to the page that is the first view you and others see.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@PJG always recommend using filter cards instead of the default filters at the top of a dashboard. You can create a card that acts as a filter which uses whatever field you set and then you can customize the name, sorting, coloring, etc. It really helps create a more user-friendly dashboard.

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh Coach
    edited August 2023
    Options

They would look like this. When you select an option in the card it will automatically add the filter bubble at the top.

• PJG
    Options

Hi @Ashleigh thank you for the reply. Can you point me to any Domo documentation or videos on doing this? Thank you so much.

• Ashleigh
    Options

• PJG
    Options

Hi @ColemenWilson & @Ashleigh I must admit, I didn't realize Filter Cards were so simple, and I implemented my first ones today. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

• Ashleigh
    Options

@PJG Filter cards are the best, glad you were able to set them up! You can also use dashboard settings to choose which card you want your filters to interact with. Just click change interaction to choose how the card interacts.