What would be the downside of using Appended Data to capture M/M snapshots?

major_ace
major_ace Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

What would be the downside of using Appended Data to capture M/M snapshots?

Let me explain. My EVP of Services wants to see Month over Month or Quarter over Quarter closure rates for client projects. My thought was to pull the project data from SFDC and simply COUNT projects in status 'Closed', and then the Appended data the for the new month will give me a new count of Projects closed during that month. We are not talking thousands of records, so it wont bloat the DB, but I'm looking for a good way to do this, not just simple.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• G_Grey
    G_Grey Contributor
    Answer ✓

I'm a big fan of if it works and gets results fast without being a huge resource sink then don't over think it.

When it comes to comparing periods in my shop I like the ability to use any chart I want rather than being restricted to period over period charts. So what I tend to do is append one dataset to itself, increment the dates by one year (or whatever you need to do to properly compare dates), then rename the appended value columns 'LY <<Column Name>>'.

Here's a simple example

Doing it this way allows you to create charts like this that can compare periods, quarters, years, days... can even be forward looking.

If you want to make sure it's apples to apples and not forward looking, (in this case, Jan, Feb, March of 2022 vs the prior year and nothing else), simply create a column or a beastmode that says if the LY Sales date is more than the max of the original tbl date, exclude it.

Hope this helps.

Answers

• G_Grey
    G_Grey Contributor
    Answer ✓

I'm a big fan of if it works and gets results fast without being a huge resource sink then don't over think it.

When it comes to comparing periods in my shop I like the ability to use any chart I want rather than being restricted to period over period charts. So what I tend to do is append one dataset to itself, increment the dates by one year (or whatever you need to do to properly compare dates), then rename the appended value columns 'LY <<Column Name>>'.

Here's a simple example

Doing it this way allows you to create charts like this that can compare periods, quarters, years, days... can even be forward looking.

If you want to make sure it's apples to apples and not forward looking, (in this case, Jan, Feb, March of 2022 vs the prior year and nothing else), simply create a column or a beastmode that says if the LY Sales date is more than the max of the original tbl date, exclude it.

Hope this helps.