One to Many Datasets

Hi

I'd like to see if there a way to show a one to many relationship in my data set. 

I have lead records on the company level. I also have contact activities. So one company can have many activities in a give month, quarter or year. I have two datasets : one for companies and one for contact activites. I'm using the ID as the unique key. Using data fusion, I though I could get a one to many type of dataset, However, this was not sucessful.

Let me know if you have encountered similar issues or whether domo has the capability to do a one to many data set.

Thanks!

Comments

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

Hi all,

Can anybody help @Lisa-Chang with their request? 

• Bulloko
    Bulloko Domo Employee

@Lisa-Chang - A DataFusion should be able to meet your need of taking two datasets and relating them on a one-to-many basis.

So in the case of Company to Activities.

I assume that each Company has a Name and each Activity has the name of the company.

So when building the DataFusion, I would be sure I am selecting "Add Columns" and then first select my Company and the Name field and then select Activity with the corresponding Company Name field and have it do a LeftJoin.

This will go through each row on the left (in our case Company) one by one and see where it matches to Activities. So if in the first row it finds that the Company Name matches 4 different activities, it will create 4 rows.

I hope that was helpful!

You might also have some luck using ETL and doing this also!

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@Lisa-Chang, did Bullokos' reply help you out?

• mattchandler
    mattchandler Domo Employee

@Lisa-Chang In addition to a Data Fusion (which should do what you want just fine) Magic ETL can also combine multiple DataSets on a common key, and will also let you clean up data in other ways. To learn more, you can go to the down arrow menu -> Domo University -> Prepare -> Magic

Best,
    Matt Chandler
    Domo