Blank Brick

When I create a blank brick in Domo, it builds out a card with area for javascript, html, and css code. It also adds three datasets to the domain. I replace dataset[0] with my own dataset and get the card working. Terrific so far. But I never needed that example set in the first place.

Now I want to delete those example sets. When I have deleted one of the example sets in the past, it wiped out my card and my code. Since then, I don't touch them. But I want them gone.

1.) How do I trace these datasets to the cards using them?
2.) How do I safely disconnect the datasets from the card, and remove them without disturbing the card?

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

I would try mapping datasets 0, 1, and 2 to the same real dataset that you need so that you brick doesn't reference any example datasets in the code. I would think you would then be able to safely delete the example datasets.

I'm not sure if there is a brick that only has one dataset, but if you find one, you might want to make that your starter brick going forwards.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

I would try mapping datasets 0, 1, and 2 to the same real dataset that you need so that you brick doesn't reference any example datasets in the code. I would think you would then be able to safely delete the example datasets.

I'm not sure if there is a brick that only has one dataset, but if you find one, you might want to make that your starter brick going forwards.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • I haven't seen a brick with only one. I thought I had tried remapping all three but I just tried again and it worked. Thanks @MarkSnodgrass.

• JosephMeyers
    JosephMeyers Domo Employee
    edited June 18

Bricks usually have more than 1 DataSet by default just in case you need them. This is because Bricks don't have access to the manifest to add or remove wired items. As suggested, if you never need the sample datasets wire all datasets to your desired one(s) and then you should be safe to delete the unwanted datasets. It should show you on the delete modal if you still have cards wired. If you create a new card from an existing Brick design in the Asset Library it won't create a new sample DataSet like the Appstore does. Instead you can just wire the DataSet you want on the create screen.

Lastly, we are in a beta currently for an in browser custom app editor that gives you a Bricks-like experience without the manifest limitations, always having 3 mapped datasets, etc. Speak to your Domo rep if you are interested in being a part of the beta.

• Thank you for the information @JosephMeyers . As Mark mentioned, I was able to set all datasets to my dataset and then safely remove the example sets.