Quarterly Snapshots of Data

Options
PJG
PJG Member

Hi gang!

A two part question where answers that a newbie like me can understand are very much appreciated please :)

1. I need to build some cards consisting of quarterly snapshots of a dataset. The dates aren't fixed, and I would like to have control over when the snapshots are taken. What's the best way to go about this?
  2. In Excel, we have what is essentially our first two snapshots. Is it possible to get this into Domo to merge seamlessly with the snapshots from question #1?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

The easiest way to do this is to set the update method of your data to "Append" instead of "Replace". This way, each time the data updates, it is added to the dataset as an append so you maintain a full history. You can set this to run on a schedule (quarterly) but can also manually update the data anytime you please.

For the excel data, you will need to take your dataset from above and append it in MagicETL with your excel data. There is a tile for this in MagicETL called "Append Rows"

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

The easiest way to do this is to set the update method of your data to "Append" instead of "Replace". This way, each time the data updates, it is added to the dataset as an append so you maintain a full history. You can set this to run on a schedule (quarterly) but can also manually update the data anytime you please.

For the excel data, you will need to take your dataset from above and append it in MagicETL with your excel data. There is a tile for this in MagicETL called "Append Rows"

• PJG
    PJG Member
    Options

Hi @ColemenWilson, thank you for the reply.

Should I be concerned about using Append because this is already by far our largest dataset, at 210,000 rows, 181 columns, and the data gets updated very frequently.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Yes, I would create a separate dataset that is for snapshotting purposes.