Bargraph for Employees/Hour when I only have start and stop times

Options
jimsteph
jimsteph Contributor

This will probably be obvious in retrospect, but I cannot figure out how to generate a chart based on the data I have. I have data in the following format:

Name

Store

Date

TimeIn

TimeOut

Alice

1/5/2024

6:00

12:00

Bob

1/5/2024

7:00

11:00

Charlie

1/5/2024

7:00

9:00

Denise

1/5/2024

8:00

12:00

What I need to do is get a bar chart showing the number of employees on shift per hour, something like this:

The chart needs to be cumulative across all days in the range so they can get a snapshot of what the staffing curve looks like.

The employee only counts if they work at least 15 minutes of the designated hour, so Alice will count only for 6:00 am to 11:00 am. Short of crafting an ETL that calculates if each employee is active for each hour of the workday (which would cause the dataset to balloon), how can I get a bar chart that shows this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo can't fill in the dates automatically within the card, your only option is to expand your data set to be on a per hour basis instead of per day.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo can't fill in the dates automatically within the card, your only option is to expand your data set to be on a per hour basis instead of per day.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jimsteph
    jimsteph Contributor
    Options

That's what I feared. So it looks like I'll have to use formulas to test each hour against the start and stop time, then unpivot to get a row per employee/hour. Thanks for your help.

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited April 19
    Options

I know the following isn't a "clean" solution….but may help you identify how to get your solution. Using something like this, you can identify the "hour" segments someone worked.

You could then count the occurrences within the hour segments. Such as getting the number of people working at six o'clock:

SUM(CASE WHEN HourSegments LIKE '%6%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

And chart those.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **