Can I run a Stored Procedure to an external MS SQL and import resulting dataset?

Options

I have large amounts of data stored in an external MS SQL database. Complicated queries are run via a stored procedure, and the resulting dataset is written to a table that I currently have connected to DOMO to produce client dashboards.

I'd like to call the stored procedure from the DOMO data connection, have it run, produce the table, and then have DOMO import it for use in other ETLs. Has anyone connected to MS SQL in this manner? Is it possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_Wolman
    Chris_Wolman Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Barb,

Yes, you can using something like the following:

exec [yourStoredProcName]

select * from [yourTableName]

This will work in workbench or the MS SQL Server connector. You may have issues depending on how long it takes for the table to be produced. If this is a lengthy process, then you might be better off scheduling the stored procedure as a SQL Server Agent Job and scheduling Domo to update after the table has been updated.

Chris

Answers

• Chris_Wolman
    Chris_Wolman Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Barb,

Yes, you can using something like the following:

exec [yourStoredProcName]

select * from [yourTableName]

This will work in workbench or the MS SQL Server connector. You may have issues depending on how long it takes for the table to be produced. If this is a lengthy process, then you might be better off scheduling the stored procedure as a SQL Server Agent Job and scheduling Domo to update after the table has been updated.

Chris

• Barb
    Barb Member
    Options

Thanks Chris! I had been trying to do it with a standard SQL connector to no avail. Workbench seems to be the lynchpin to making all of this happen for us.

I appreciate the help!