Bell Curve - Large Data

Options

Hello,

I am working with a large amount of rows, due to sales items having multiple sizes/colors. Looking to build a size/bell curve to present to the client but when I use the Histogram, it doesn't group by the category names/sizes but in the table view it shows the units by group.

Histogram:

Thank you in advance for the help and any recommendations to visual this, outside of a tabular/table view, would be helpful.

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

The first thing that jumps out at me that might be throwing off the histogram chart is that you have something in the Sorting properties. Try removing that and see if that allows it to distribute better.

If you haven't looked at the KB article, this can be helpful in understanding how the chart is intended to function.
    https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043429193?language=en_US

With so many sizes, I wonder if a Word Cloud chart might be easier for a user to digest. You might want to look at that chart.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm not sure about using a histogram. I'd use a bar chart. Note - my fake data does not exactly match yours. :)

Creating SizeAsInteger with the formula : CAST(RIGHT(Size, 3) AS Integer)
    You can create bins (show above). Which seems customary for histograms and sizing.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• marcel_luthi
    marcel_luthi Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can make your vertical card look more like a histogram by changing the bar width in the properties, that might be more visually pleasant for your use case.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

The first thing that jumps out at me that might be throwing off the histogram chart is that you have something in the Sorting properties. Try removing that and see if that allows it to distribute better.

If you haven't looked at the KB article, this can be helpful in understanding how the chart is intended to function.
    https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043429193?language=en_US

With so many sizes, I wonder if a Word Cloud chart might be easier for a user to digest. You might want to look at that chart.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm not sure about using a histogram. I'd use a bar chart. Note - my fake data does not exactly match yours. :)

Creating SizeAsInteger with the formula : CAST(RIGHT(Size, 3) AS Integer)
    You can create bins (show above). Which seems customary for histograms and sizing.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• DMJerry
    DMJerry Member
    Options

@MarkSnodgrass Thank you for the help. I removed the sort previously and still got the same response.

I'm sure it's just the size of my data to the chart. Was able to achieve it using some other vertical bar charts but the formatting on the histogram is so nice.

Appreciate the help.

• DMJerry
    DMJerry Member
    Options

Thank you @ArborRose - That works nicely. Appreciate the help.

• marcel_luthi
    marcel_luthi Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can make your vertical card look more like a histogram by changing the bar width in the properties, that might be more visually pleasant for your use case.