Combining two datasets based on two potential fields

Options

Hi, I have two datasets. One has pacing data, the other has monthly data. All rows have unique IDs, however the pacing data may have either an ID from the old system (legacy ID) or the new system (new ID).

Pacing:

ID

Monthly:

New ID    Legacy ID
10        1
13        2
14        3

How would I go about joining these two datasets based on either of the 2 IDs? The final dataset should be something like this:

ID        Legacy ID
10        1
13        2
14        3

I don't want any duplicates but I don't want any rows that only exist in one dataset to be excluded. Thank you!

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use two join tiles and do an inner join on each. the first one joins ID → New ID and the 2nd join tile joins ID → Legacy ID. You would then use the append tile to bring the data together. Would look something like this:

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use two join tiles and do an inner join on each. the first one joins ID → New ID and the 2nd join tile joins ID → Legacy ID. You would then use the append tile to bring the data together. Would look something like this:

• jrtomici
    Options

Thank you—I was on the right track doing this, but how would I also include rows that are not in both datasets? @MarkSnodgrass

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

You might try changing the inner joins to left joins and then use a filter or remove duplicates tile to get to your desired result.