Magic ETL - Sum of values in a column

Options
MayaU_01
MayaU_01 Member
edited January 25 in Magic ETL

In my dataset i have a column "A" and there are numbers in that which represent spend. I want to create a new column in which i want sum of all values in A to be available in the new column in all rows.
Eg. If sum of all values in column A is 125, and I have 10 rows, then in the new column "B" I want 125 in all 10 rows and it should update as well if the number of rows add up and Sum of spend increases. I tried to do a Sum and Over in ETL Add formula but Unable to get results. Can You please help me with the right formula to work with

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can group by your partition / bucket that you're wanting to sum across. If you want to do it over the entire dataset, use a formula tile to create a new field called "Join Column" with a value of 1 then group based on that new field. After the group by you can use a join tile to join your aggregated data back to each row utilizing your partitioning columns (or the Join Column you created if across the entire dataset).

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • ColemenWilson
    edited January 25 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @MayaU_01 , in Magic ETL you'll calculate the sum of the column in a group by tile. You'll then rejoin that back to the rest of the data on 1=1 so that it appears in every row of data.

Here is a recording walking through it: https://www.loom.com/share/49e273624c6548acb443e221b0fff0be?sid=75b0cba1-fa3d-43cd-85c4-13a1d1247d9a

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can group by your partition / bucket that you're wanting to sum across. If you want to do it over the entire dataset, use a formula tile to create a new field called "Join Column" with a value of 1 then group based on that new field. After the group by you can use a join tile to join your aggregated data back to each row utilizing your partitioning columns (or the Join Column you created if across the entire dataset).

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • ColemenWilson
    edited January 25 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @MayaU_01 , in Magic ETL you'll calculate the sum of the column in a group by tile. You'll then rejoin that back to the rest of the data on 1=1 so that it appears in every row of data.

Here is a recording walking through it: https://www.loom.com/share/49e273624c6548acb443e221b0fff0be?sid=75b0cba1-fa3d-43cd-85c4-13a1d1247d9a

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above