User-Defined Functions (for Beast mode and Formulas)

Options

It would be great if DOMO could add user-defined functions as a feature. Is there any discussion of this becoming an added feature? It doesn't seem like it would be very complicated to implement, and won't make the software any less user-friendly for users who are not developing their own functions.

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo does have Beast Mode reference in the pipeline, where you can reference one beast mode from another beast mode. I don't know when it'll be released. However, they did tease it last Domopalooza, so maybe soon. You could then define your "function" as a beast mode and then reference it within your other beast modes on the same dataset.

If you want a custom function that's instance wide I'd recommend adding it to the Idea Exchange

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should suggest this in the idea exchange. To me, it sounds like what you're describing is one level of abstraction beyond what GrantSmith is talking about. Being able to reference a BeastMode in another function would be great, but being able to write a custom function that you can then input different columns (or beastmodes) as parameters into would be even better.

Okay

A_BeastMode = X + Y

B_BeastMode = A_Beastmode + Z

Next level

def Custom_Function(X, Y, Z) = X + Y + Z

Custom_Function(A, B, C)

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Domo does have Beast Mode reference in the pipeline, where you can reference one beast mode from another beast mode. I don't know when it'll be released. However, they did tease it last Domopalooza, so maybe soon. You could then define your "function" as a beast mode and then reference it within your other beast modes on the same dataset.

If you want a custom function that's instance wide I'd recommend adding it to the Idea Exchange

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should suggest this in the idea exchange. To me, it sounds like what you're describing is one level of abstraction beyond what GrantSmith is talking about. Being able to reference a BeastMode in another function would be great, but being able to write a custom function that you can then input different columns (or beastmodes) as parameters into would be even better.

Okay

A_BeastMode = X + Y

B_BeastMode = A_Beastmode + Z

Next level

def Custom_Function(X, Y, Z) = X + Y + Z

Custom_Function(A, B, C)

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.