Smart Text - Show Actual Year Value, Rather Than Date Range

Options
drewswayne
drewswayne Member
edited November 2023 in Cards, Dashboards, Stories

I am working on developing an annual report for our department. I wanted to find out how you go about showing the actual year value, rather than the date range value, like "Previous Year", on the cards. In this example, I would rather show the year, "2022", rather than "Previous Year".

Best Answers

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Colemen's instructions should work. Try using the summary rather than smart text option:

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hmm okay. Question, if the year for the annual report is at the top of the page, first red circled "previous year" on your dashboard, then why do you need the year for each individual card? I would say best practice is to avoid adding dates in card titles, as shown here: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042935534?language=en_US

You could make the first single value card at the top of the dashboard under SFVD Annual Report powered by a beastmode which would not require smart text, would be dynamic and would give context for the entire page.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@drewswayne awesome. Also, you can hide the title on any card on a dashboard by putting the dashboard in edit mode, clicking the "edit content" option on the card, choosing "appearance", and deselecting "title".

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited November 2023
    Options

You will need to create a beastmode that displays the value you want "2022". Then use the filters option for smart text. When you filter the data to 2022, the beastmode value will be 2022 and that is what will be shown in the smart text.

• drewswayne
    Options

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, the smart text won't display my value.

Here's the beast mode calc that I'm using: MAX(YEAR(IncDateDST))

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Colemen's instructions should work. Try using the summary rather than smart text option:

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hmm okay. Question, if the year for the annual report is at the top of the page, first red circled "previous year" on your dashboard, then why do you need the year for each individual card? I would say best practice is to avoid adding dates in card titles, as shown here: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360042935534?language=en_US

You could make the first single value card at the top of the dashboard under SFVD Annual Report powered by a beastmode which would not require smart text, would be dynamic and would give context for the entire page.

• drewswayne
    Options

Thank you both for your help.

@jessdoe, your suggestion ended up as the one I implemented. I'm able to have a clean looking header in the report, which now includes the appropriate filtered date.

@ColemenWilson, I appreciate your suggestions and thank you for link to best practices. I removed the date related info out of all card titles as suggested. The single value card didn't really work for me, because I was forced to have a title on the card. Also, I don't see where I am supposed to select "yes", when my problem was solved.

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

@drewswayne awesome. Also, you can hide the title on any card on a dashboard by putting the dashboard in edit mode, clicking the "edit content" option on the card, choosing "appearance", and deselecting "title".