Broken line chart and want to connect the dots

Options

Hi - I have this beast mode that I am using in a bar line chart. However since there aren't values for each time interval the line is showing as dots. How do I get the line to connect?

Here is the beast mode and I can't seem to get things connected without breaking syntax:
CASE
WHEN 'id'='LIABILITY' THEN SUM('value')
END

Best Answer

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not to disagree with the estimable GrantSmith, but the problem is not that you're missing data at the gaps of your graph, it's that you do have data at those gaps, and it is NULL. A line/bar can plot a continuous line with different missing date values, as long as there aren't NULLs at rows:

Your BeastMode currently produces a NULL for every row that is not "LIABILITY", which is what is causing the gaps.

What is the goal of the BeastMode? Is it to graph "LIABILITY" against "NOT LIABILITY". If so, you could just create a categorical variable for your series, and use that as your series.

Or if it's to graph LIABILITY against everything, you could prepare your data in an ETL. Filter your LIABILITY rows and append them as duplicates to your dataset, and again graph using a categorical variable as your series (Liability duplicates vs. Not liability duplicates).

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    Options

If your data doesn't have data then it won't connect. You'll need to insert records in your dataset to have a contiguous line in your chart

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • markb
    Options

That's unfortunately not possible

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not to disagree with the estimable GrantSmith, but the problem is not that you're missing data at the gaps of your graph, it's that you do have data at those gaps, and it is NULL. A line/bar can plot a continuous line with different missing date values, as long as there aren't NULLs at rows:

Your BeastMode currently produces a NULL for every row that is not "LIABILITY", which is what is causing the gaps.

What is the goal of the BeastMode? Is it to graph "LIABILITY" against "NOT LIABILITY". If so, you could just create a categorical variable for your series, and use that as your series.

Or if it's to graph LIABILITY against everything, you could prepare your data in an ETL. Filter your LIABILITY rows and append them as duplicates to your dataset, and again graph using a categorical variable as your series (Liability duplicates vs. Not liability duplicates).

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.