Changing Labeling on X-Axis of Chart that Is Grouped by Period

Options

Hello,

I am creating a line chart with three categories and looking back 13 months and 13 weeks. My question is how can I get the x-axis labels for both month and week to show something different.

For example, I created a dummy chart that shows the freethrow percentages of a basketball time that I manage in the land of make-believe. The chart shows the aggregated percentages of the freethrows for the top, bottom, and average performer for the previous 13 months. I have created the same chart for the previous 13 weeks. My question in this example is how do I change the month/weeks labels on the x-axis to something more user-friendly to me. It is especially hard looking back 3 weeks and seeing 'Week [X]' and not knowing how to interpret what it means. Ideally, I would like to show a date of some sort so that the chart makes more sense to me.

I have attached some screenshots detailing the solution that I am hoping for.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can construct your own week text with a beast mode and put that field in your x-axis. Something like this:

CONCAT('Week of ', DATE_SUB(dt, INTERVAL (DAYOFWEEK(dt) - 1) DAY) )

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can construct your own week text with a beast mode and put that field in your x-axis. Something like this:

CONCAT('Week of ', DATE_SUB(dt, INTERVAL (DAYOFWEEK(dt) - 1) DAY) )

• Thanks for the answer! Can you show me where to put the beastmode exactly?

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

You would click on Calculated Field

Write your beast mode and name it

Drag that field into the x-axis

Hope that helps.

• Hi Mark, I have one final question. I am trying to change the date format to Month/Day/Year but when I do so, the datatype turns into a string in the ordering is out of whack. What should I do to alleviate this issue? Thank you!

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

You will want to create a 2nd beast mode that you would use just for sorting purposes. Just make sure it results in the same granularity as the field you have in the x-axis. You might be able to just create a beast mode that is just WEEK(dt) and put that in the sorting.

• That worked perfectly. Huge kudos to you and I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)