DateDiff formula in Redshift

Options

Hi Team,

The formula below was built as a beastmode but would like to move it to dimensions, the backend. However, "DATEDIFF()" isn't recognized in Redshift, any workarounds? Thanks

CASE

when
("date","published_date") >0 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=29 then '01 Month'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >29 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=59 then '02 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >59 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=89 then '03 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >89 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=119 then '04 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >119 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=149 then '05 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >149 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=179 then '06 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >179 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=209 then '07 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >209 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=239 then '08 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >239 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=269 then '09 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >269 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=299 then '10 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >299 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=329 then '11 Months'

when
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >329 and
DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=359 then '12 Months'

ELSE '>13 Months'

end)

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here is your case statement with the DAY parameter added:

SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") df,
    CASE
    When DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >0 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=29 then '01 Month'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >29 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=59 then '02 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >59 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=89 then '03 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >89 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=119 then '04 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >119 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=149 then '05 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >149 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=179 then '06 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >179 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=209 then '07 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >209 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=239 then '08 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >239 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=269 then '09 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >269 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=299 then '10 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >299 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=329 then '11 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >329 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=359 then '12 Months'
    ELSE '>13 Months'
    END monthstring
    FROM "sample_dates"

I tested in my Redshift and it worked.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor
    Options

Hi EMart,

DATEDIFF works in Redshift, it just requires more arguments than MySQL. The below link should help when translating between the two languages:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/dg/r_DATEDIFF_function.html

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

You need to add the day parameter as the first part. Like this:

DATEDIFF(DAY, "Date", CURRENT_DATE) 

You could also simplify your case statement if you used the month parameter instead, like this:

CASE WHEN  DATEDIFF(MONTH, "Date", CURRENT_DATE) <= 12 THEN LPAD(DATEDIFF(MONTH, "Date", CURRENT_DATE),2,'0') + ' Months'
    ELSE '> 13 Months'
    END

• EMart
    Options

Hi there, Day or Month were not recognized parameters in the syntax. Greatly would appreciate to hear any additional alternatives I could take, thank you!

• MarkSnodgrass
    Options

I would check your syntax because I tested it in Redshift and it worked.

• EMart
    Options

Hi @MarkSnodgrass thank you! I tested the code you provided but it doesn't match with the data I ran with the initial code shared. Any way I can use the original code but with the proper syntax?

CASE

When DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >0 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=29 then '01 Month'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >29 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=59 then '02 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >59 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=89 then '03 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >89 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=119 then '04 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >119 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=149 then '05 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >149 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=179 then '06 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >179 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=209 then '07 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >209 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=239 then '08 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >239 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=269 then '09 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >269 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=299 then '10 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >299 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=329 then '11 Months'
    when DATEDIFF("date","published_date") >329 and DATEDIFF("date","published_date") <=359 then '12 Months'
    ELSE '>13 Months'

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓
    Options

Here is your case statement with the DAY parameter added:

SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") df,
    CASE
    When DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >0 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=29 then '01 Month'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >29 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=59 then '02 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >59 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=89 then '03 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >89 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=119 then '04 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >119 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=149 then '05 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >149 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=179 then '06 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >179 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=209 then '07 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >209 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=239 then '08 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >239 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=269 then '09 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >269 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=299 then '10 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >299 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=329 then '11 Months'
    when DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") >329 and DATEDIFF(DAY,"date","published_date") <=359 then '12 Months'
    ELSE '>13 Months'
    END monthstring
    FROM "sample_dates"

I tested in my Redshift and it worked.

• EMart
    Options

Hi @MarkSnodgrass Amazing, it worked! Thank you!