Custom / Manual Sort Order

Options

Is it possible to have a custom sort order on a chart when none of my attributes provides the sort order I want? Or alternatively, I know I could force the custom sort order I want with an alias in a beast mode, but then could I change the bar labels to what they were originally?

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create a duplicate beast mode with the same logic you're using to create the ranges but instead of returning the ranges return a number to sort on (0, 1, 2, 3 etc) then use that new sort beast mode as your sort on your card.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• MichelleH
    Options

@PJG If you use a beast mode to force the sort order, you can still use the original field in your bar labels as long as the beast mode is in the sorting section of Analyzer

• PJG
    Options

Hi MichelleH, yes, true. I think I explained that badly, apologies, as I don't really have any original field labels to use. Essentially I have code to group costs into ranges, so my Beast Mode includes rows such as:

0-100

100-500

500-1000

1000-10000

The problem is that while they should sort as per above, the 500-1000 is appearing last since they're not being treated as numbers. Any solution here?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create a duplicate beast mode with the same logic you're using to create the ranges but instead of returning the ranges return a number to sort on (0, 1, 2, 3 etc) then use that new sort beast mode as your sort on your card.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • PJG
    Options

@GrantSmith Very simple, very clever. That works, thanks!