Route Map Edge Case: Ability to remove lines between points while still retaining Point 1/Point 2

Options
Scotsman143
Scotsman143 Member
edited September 2023 in Charting

Hello!

I have an edge case on a map I'm creating. The Lat/Long Route Map I saw seemed perfect for the customer I building this for, but then they provided feedback saying they want the symbols/dots but they do not want the lines going between the dots. I do not believe there is an ability to remove the lines/routes between the dots unless I'm missing something? The key here is I have separate lat/long points where if my user selects an origin point, they want to see dots representing the potential destinations. The lines would clutter the map too much. I can't use a regular lat/long map because it doesn't accommodate filtering well for origin/destination points.

If I can't do it via the base product, is there a brick that someone has used that they'd recommend for this? Below is a screenshot of my map. Idea is origin points are in the blue/grey and destination points are green (this is a snippet of the dataset used to mock it into a dashboard).

Here's a snippet of the data I'm using, sensitive data redacted:

Best Answer

• DavidChurchman
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You could use Origin as the 'Series for Color' in the Lat/Long map. This would tie the origins to their destinations, so when you hover on an origin, all the destinations would appear, and you could click to filter by that series.

You'd want to restructure your data a bit. In a magicETL, you could select all of your origin columns, add a column of destinations that's just duplicate of the origin (formula tile), then append that dataset to the bottom of all the destination columns (rename Long and Lat to match in the appended datasets). The data would look like:

Origin (series) | Destination (label) | Long | | Lat

I didn't address you wanting to color origins one thing and destinations something else. You could differentiate by size instead. Sizing by count will make the origins significantly larger than the destinations, hopefully making them look like hubs surrounded by their same-color destinations.

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• DavidChurchman
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You could use Origin as the 'Series for Color' in the Lat/Long map. This would tie the origins to their destinations, so when you hover on an origin, all the destinations would appear, and you could click to filter by that series.

You'd want to restructure your data a bit. In a magicETL, you could select all of your origin columns, add a column of destinations that's just duplicate of the origin (formula tile), then append that dataset to the bottom of all the destination columns (rename Long and Lat to match in the appended datasets). The data would look like:

Origin (series) | Destination (label) | Long | | Lat

I didn't address you wanting to color origins one thing and destinations something else. You could differentiate by size instead. Sizing by count will make the origins significantly larger than the destinations, hopefully making them look like hubs surrounded by their same-color destinations.

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.