Beast Mode calculation when data is in rows and then how to chart

Options
Ben_Gilbert
Ben_Gilbert Member
edited September 2023 in Charting

Hi All

I have a dataset (a sample is attached) where the 2 series I want to track are in the same column, identified by the Split Answer (i.e. male or female). I want to calculate the % split answer value by dividing the value by the sum of all values where the Split Detail is held constant (i.e. what is the % of female senior managers versus total senior managers (male+female)).

I have created the logic in Excel (refer to attached), so assume this means it can be written into a Beast Mode calculation.  There are over 50k lines with this data presented in a dataset of 1.4m rows.

The next challenge is can the chart be created from this data set or does DOMO need to sculpt the data somewhere in the process to get the structure right for charting.

Thanks for any nudges to materials to read, or for any help with the logic.

Thanks

Ben

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@BigWave Based on the data you provided, you should be able to use the beast modes below to without any additional manipulation:

% Female

sum(case when `Split answer` = 'Female' then `Value` else 0 end) / sum(`Value`)

% Male

sum(case when `Split answer` = 'Male' then `Value` else 0 end) / sum(`Value`)

If you just want the count of each answer, you can create 2 additional beast modes using just the numerators of the examples above.

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@BigWave Based on the data you provided, you should be able to use the beast modes below to without any additional manipulation:

% Female

sum(case when `Split answer` = 'Female' then `Value` else 0 end) / sum(`Value`)

% Male

sum(case when `Split answer` = 'Male' then `Value` else 0 end) / sum(`Value`)

If you just want the count of each answer, you can create 2 additional beast modes using just the numerators of the examples above.

• Ben_Gilbert
    Options

Thanks @MichelleH - how do I chart these two created series as lines with the y-axis being 0%-100%? I can see the chart 100% Stacked Bar that does it for bar chart but I can't find the 100% line bar?

• MichelleH
    Options

@BigWave If you are using a Line Bar chart you can set a min and max value for the lines under Value Scale (Line).

Since this chart type only sets the first series as a line, you can specify two lines using Series on Left Scale under General Properties

• Ben_Gilbert
    Options

Hi

I want to add another variable to the above equation but can't get it to work. In my Excel days I would use an IF statement. Here is my equation:

when 'primary class' = 'supermarkets and gocery stores' THEN sum(case when `Split answer` = 'Female' then `Value` else 0 end) / sum(`Value`)

Thanks

Ben