Filter views - individual default views

Options

Is there a way for individual users to have their own default view for a dashboard?

I am aware that I can set a default view for my users, but the dashboard owner wanted the dashboard already filtered for each of the users' departments.

I tried doing this for an individual user and created a filter view that they selected.

The filter view was applied to that dashboard for the entire session, but as soon as they logged out and logged back in, the dashboard no longer had the filter view applied.

I suggested PDP be applied, but the dashboard owner wants users to be able to remove the filter and view the rest of the data if necessary.

I also attempted to use filter cards, but that option was rejected as well.

The dashboard owner does not want the users to need to needlessly click to apply the filter every time they log into a session.

Currently, I am creating separate dashboards/cards as a result, but there are more users who have different departments so I would need to create more dashboards/cards.

Best Answer

• DavidChurchman
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

A possible approach: what if you appended department-level copies of the dataset to the bottom of the dataset? Then you could give departments access to their rows via PDP and the default filter could be for single-select filter for "View my department only" or "All data".

You would just have to be careful that if they completely removed that filter then their would be duplicates for their department. If your dataset is huge, this might not be a practical approach, either.

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

Answers

• DavidChurchman
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

A possible approach: what if you appended department-level copies of the dataset to the bottom of the dataset? Then you could give departments access to their rows via PDP and the default filter could be for single-select filter for "View my department only" or "All data".

You would just have to be careful that if they completely removed that filter then their would be duplicates for their department. If your dataset is huge, this might not be a practical approach, either.

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.