Mimic Vlookup in Dataset?

Options

As the title says, I am trying to mimic a vlookup on a dataset. I am using an ETL that is connecting different membership logs from SF. Basically every time a member leaves or joins it creates a new log. On one dashboard we are looking at data based on all the members who joined this year but also left this same time frame. So my dashboard data is all filtered by join logs essentially, since it is only join logs they don't include the termination reasons. How can I get the termination reason to apply to all member logs with the same ID? (Would be ideal if I could make a new column in a view data set)

Data looks like this:

Member ID

Log Status

Termination Reason

Join

Leave

Too expensive

Join

Leave

Found alternative solution

Join

Leave

Uninterested

And I want it to look like this:

Member ID

Log Status

Termination Reason

Join

Too expensive

Leave

Too expensive

Join

Leave

Join

Uninterested

Leave

Uninterested

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@deona720 Joins are the ETL equivalent of vlookup, with a few minor differences. You can read more about joins in this Knowledge Base article. In this case I would recommend creating a branch of your dataflow that filters your input dataset on Log Status = Leave so that you have one row per Member ID that includes the Termination Reason. Then use a left join with the original input on the left and the filtered data on the right, using Member ID as your join field. Drop the Termination Reason from the left table and the Log Status from the right table to mimic the output from your example.

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@deona720 Joins are the ETL equivalent of vlookup, with a few minor differences. You can read more about joins in this Knowledge Base article. In this case I would recommend creating a branch of your dataflow that filters your input dataset on Log Status = Leave so that you have one row per Member ID that includes the Termination Reason. Then use a left join with the original input on the left and the filtered data on the right, using Member ID as your join field. Drop the Termination Reason from the left table and the Log Status from the right table to mimic the output from your example.