BETWEEN Beastmode function not working

Options
Samuel.
Samuel. Contributor
edited August 2023 in Cards, Dashboards, Stories

Hi All,

I often build beastmodes and find that the in-built function "Between" never seems to function.

If you type "Between" into the function search, nothing comes up, but if you start typing "Between", it's an option like AND, OR, etc. would be.

I presume the intended function would typically be utilised in truncating values in case statements without needing a greater than and a less than part.

e.g.

CASE 
WHEN value columnBETWEEN X AND Y THEN 'Is Between' ELSE 'Is Not Between' END

However, whenever I try to utilise Between in this way, the beastmode can never validate. Is a specific expected notation needed to use Between, or is it simply not working as intended?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• b_rad
    b_rad Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think the "BETWEEN" function is meant for the formula tile in MagicETL. That's why it probably shows up as a auto completion in the analyzer.

I agree that Domo should clean up the auto completion and show only functions that work in Analyzer beast modes.

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited August 2023
    Options

I can't find anything in Domo's documentation that suggests BETWEEN is supported. I've always used:

value column >= X and value column < = Y THEN 'Is Between'

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Samuel.
    Samuel. Contributor
    Options

Hi @colemenwilson

Aye, this is exactly my comment - "Between" is an auto-completed option in the beastmode window, but it's seemingly either unsupported, undocumented or broken.

The most logical use case, as described above doesn't work, there is no documentation as you have alluded to, but its existence as an auto-completing suggests there should be some functionality. I also do the same thing as you have described; it just seems like a bloated bit of code.

• ColemenWilson
    edited August 2023
    Options

So is the alternative to get the same result that I suggested not working? Or you're only trying to use BETWEEN?

• Samuel.
    Samuel. Contributor
    edited August 2023
    Options

I'm highlighting that there is seemingly a problem with the functionality of "Between"

I consistently use the process you have already highlighted as it's a workaround to what the expected use case of "Between" is.

The question was not asking "How do I solve this" as it's a layman's problem, the question was "If this is not the use of Between; what is it there for?".

• ColemenWilson
    Options

If you haven't already, I would suggest submitting a request to Domo Support.

• b_rad
    b_rad Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think the "BETWEEN" function is meant for the formula tile in MagicETL. That's why it probably shows up as a auto completion in the analyzer.

I agree that Domo should clean up the auto completion and show only functions that work in Analyzer beast modes.