Multiple Values on State Map

Options

I'm not really sure if this is a visualization question or a Beast Mode question. I have built a map showing profitability by state, that changes depending on what the user filters for. For example, if the user filters for the year 2023, the map updates with the profitability for that year.

Now, I want to determine the delta between that value and the previous year, and display it in the same map. I would like to allow users to become more granular without having to scroll away from the key object of the dashboard, that being the map and filters for the map. Is it possible to display this without using cards?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd recommend utilizing a custom PoP data dimension to allow you to display multiple years or deltas. I've done a write up on this in the past which you may find helpful.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

The input dataset should be the one you're wanting to do PoP analysis on along with the calendar dimension dataset from the Domo Dimensions connector.

It's good practice to filter out any unnecessary data as early as you can in the ETL to improve processing efficiency. If you don't need dates prior to last year remove them after your input dataset tile.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd recommend utilizing a custom PoP data dimension to allow you to display multiple years or deltas. I've done a write up on this in the past which you may find helpful.

• hunter_brown
    hunter_brown Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hey Grant, thanks for the quick reply. I am a new Domo user, and I am unfamiliar as to where to go to paste the custom code for under the "Magic ETL" section. What exactly is a "Magic ETL palette?"

• GrantSmith
    Options

It's the grey canvas area your tiles reside. Click inside anywhere inside that area but not directly on a tile then do a control+v to paste the code in.

• hunter_brown
    Options

Am I intended to replace the input dataset in this with the one I created in the step "Base Date Dimension" or with my report dataset (my guess is the one I created but I don't want to screw up)? Also, I only need last year, so should I be fine to just go ahead and remove whatever dates I don't want or will that break something?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

The input dataset should be the one you're wanting to do PoP analysis on along with the calendar dimension dataset from the Domo Dimensions connector.

It's good practice to filter out any unnecessary data as early as you can in the ETL to improve processing efficiency. If you don't need dates prior to last year remove them after your input dataset tile.