Beast mode that looks at filters?

Options

Afternoon, I have some metrics that I would like to change automatically when a filter is selected and wondering if there is a way to do that through a beast mode (or any other way)?

For example I have lanes A to B and also A to C and I have one card that I filter on the destination B and C to see the percentage of shipments that have made it within our time window. A to B is 4 days or less and A to C is 12 days or less. I want the card to show the percentage of shipments that made it within 4 or 12 days depending which destination the filter is set to.

Is that even possible to do based on a filter?

Also, cant split into multiple cards as there as so many destination pairings that it would be way to many cards.

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

As bryce mentioned variables are a great way to do this if you want the axis values to change based on a filter. You could, however just group data together with a beastmode and then allow users to switch between that grouping as long as the aggregation remains constant (Sum, average, max, etc…) which it sounds like it is: % of shipments.

Example Beastmode:

CASE WHEN `Lane` IN('A','B') THEN 'A to B'
    WHEN `Lane` IN('A','C') THEN 'A to C'

ELSE 'Other' END

I don't think I have enough information to write the exact beastmode you are looking for, but that should get you close. Let me know if this doesn't work for you!

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• brycec
    brycec Contributor
    Options

Have you looked into using variables to achieve this? https://www.domo.com/learn/video/variables-use-case-feature-walkthrough

Was this comment helpful? Click Agree or Like below.
    Did this comment solve your problem? Accept it as the solution!

• ColemenWilson
    Answer ✓
    Options

As bryce mentioned variables are a great way to do this if you want the axis values to change based on a filter. You could, however just group data together with a beastmode and then allow users to switch between that grouping as long as the aggregation remains constant (Sum, average, max, etc…) which it sounds like it is: % of shipments.

Example Beastmode:

CASE WHEN `Lane` IN('A','B') THEN 'A to B'
    WHEN `Lane` IN('A','C') THEN 'A to C'

ELSE 'Other' END

I don't think I have enough information to write the exact beastmode you are looking for, but that should get you close. Let me know if this doesn't work for you!

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• MichelleH
    Options

@AdamC I agree with the above recommendations to use a variable. In this case, I suggest creating a numerical variable to represent the number of days you want to compare. Then your percentage beast mode would look like this:

sum(case when `Days` <= `DaysVariable` then `Shipments` else 0 end)/sum(`Shipments`)

So if a user has the card filtered to A to C, they can change the `DaysVariable` value to 4 to see what percent of shipments for that lane arrived within 4 days.

• AdamC
    AdamC Member
    Options

Thanks all. I haven't tried variable so I will run down that rabbit trail and see what I can come up with. Appreciate your help and insight. I think I need to understand variables before I can fully grasp the suggestions on how to work it.

Thanks!