FIXED BY Beastmode trouble shooting

Options

Something is not working quite right and I am having a hard time figuring out what is going wrong.

We're trying to see the % of registrations by year, by day of week (sun, mon, tue, …), by hour of day, and then to be able to filter by locations.

So in ETL, for the numerator, I am grouping by Year, DayOfWeek, Hour of day, Location, and count distinct registrations. Then for the denominator it is the same with out the Hour of Day grouping. Then I join them on a concat of Year-Day-Location.

Then for the beastmode, I am doing

Max(Sum([numerator]) fixed (by year, day, hour))

/

Max(Sum([denominator]) fixed (by year, day))

Using the year 2020, Monday, 12 hour as an example, I queried our SQL database and the correct numerator/denominator should be 3845/39332 for 9.78 %. When I filter the domo card to this year, day, and hour, I get the correct numbers (SS1 attached)

However, when I remove the hour of day filter, me denominator jumps from 39332 to 548,378 (SS2 attached) So my denominator increases by 509,046.

So, my thought was that maybe there are a bunch of denominators that for some reason aren't attached to an hour of day, and so that is why it is correct when I filter to the hours. So, I made a beastmode to say "if the denominator is >=1 and the hour of day is null, then yes" but it returns no yes'.

beastmode:

MAX(SUM(lte_donation_general.donation_id_distinctcount_by_hour_by_year_tz) FIXED (BY SP_Fiscal_Calendar.Fiscal_Year, lte_donation_general.collection_date_dayofweek_tz,lte_donation_general.collection_date_hour_tz))
/
MAX(SUM(lte_donation_general.donation_id_distinctcount_by_dayofweek_tz) FIXED (BY SP_Fiscal_Calendar.Fiscal_Year, lte_donation_general.collection_date_dayofweek_tz))

Answers

• marcel_luthi
    Options

Is there any particular reason why you're using MAX(SUM() FIXED())? You also mentioned the Denominator being the same as the Numerator without the hour part, but in the last formula I see you're using 2 different aggregation columns.

More often than not, you'll use a SUM(SUM() FIXED()) approach if the goal is to get the total on a specific subset. You can find some more examples on how this function might be used in this article: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/4408174643607?language=en_US

• Jbrorby
    Options

I think I found my mistake.

After the join, it looks like this

So I needed to change my beastmode to this

SUM(SUM(lte_donation_general.donation_id_distinctcount_by_hour_by_year_tz) FIXED (BY SP_Fiscal_Calendar.Fiscal_Year, lte_donation_general.collection_date_dayofweek_tz, lte_donation_general.collection_date_hour_tz,lte_tbl_calendar.calendar_name_tzw))
    /
    Sum(Max(lte_donation_general.donation_id_distinctcount_by_dayofweek_tz) FIXED (BY SP_Fiscal_Calendar.Fiscal_Year,lte_donation_general.collection_date_dayofweek_tz, lte_tbl_calendar.calendar_name_tzw))