Various issues with Scatter Charts

Options
PJG
PJG Member

Hi all,

I have 4 key issues that are holding back some Scatter charts from being finalized, and visually appealing.

1. Not all bubble labels are shown, even when a bubble is by itself, and there's plenty space for a label without it infringing on another label or bubble. If I turn on Allow overlap, I can see all labels, but again, there's no reason for some of these not to be shown in the first place. This issue does not appear to be related to bubble value.
  2. When bubbles overlap, there's no way to know this. It just shows one. Ideally, it would have the biggest bubble at the back, and smaller ones in front so you can see multiples.
  3. Similarly to #2, when bubbles overlap, only 1 label will be displayed, so there's no way to know that there's multiples on that point of the chart. If I turn on Allow overlap, they truly overlap, and there's sometimes multiple layers of text on top of each other, and it's unreadable. Within Data Label Settings, there is the option for Position, which I have set to Above or Below, and if it used both, it would resolve this to some degree, but even with that set, it will only show labels above the bubbles.
  4. I can't seem to get General > Minimum Bubble Value and Maximum Bubble Value to have any impact on the chart. My bubble values range from 15 to 113,848, which is quite a range. Excluding the 113,848 value, the next largest is 8,600. With the default settings, I can see these two bubble are larger than the others, but all others are more or less the same size. Ideally, the bubble sizes would scale more so there's a greater variety of bubble sizes. If I set the minimum or maximum to 5, 500, 5000, etc. the bubble size never changes.

Are there solutions for any of these?

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not with the default visualizations. You could try and utilize a third party visualization tool like D3 in a Domo Brick to truly customize a scatter plot how you're wanting it displaued.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not with the default visualizations. You could try and utilize a third party visualization tool like D3 in a Domo Brick to truly customize a scatter plot how you're wanting it displaued.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**