Formulae function for table instead of line by line

I have two tables. The first table i have a list of telephone numbers. The second table, a list of the first 3 digits of the number. I want to qualify the first with the next. Here is my formulae:

case when SUBSTR(Phone,4,3) not in(NXX) then 'no' else 'yes' END

so this is fine in that it qualifies line by line. However, I want it to compare against the whole table and validate. How can this be done in Domo?

Best Answer

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

It's going to compare line by line. How did you join the two tables together? If you are essentially want to "search" the nxx column to see if there is a match with your substring value, you would need to a cartesian join that would repeat all the nxx rows for each phone number and then you would filter where there is a match.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Answers

• Your substring is looking at digits 4,5, and 6 in a phone number, not the first 3. Wouldn't you want it to be

CASE WHEN LEFT(phone,3) = threedigitfield THEN 'Same' ELSE 'Different' END

• mroker
    mroker Member
    edited May 2023

i want the 4,5,6 number as the first 3 are the area code. But I guess what i wanted to know is…. when i run this, does it look just at the line or look at the whole column of nxx?

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

It's going to compare line by line. How did you join the two tables together? If you are essentially want to "search" the nxx column to see if there is a match with your substring value, you would need to a cartesian join that would repeat all the nxx rows for each phone number and then you would filter where there is a match.