Symbol Bump Chart Tutorial
Bump charts are effective for showing changing rankings across multiple dates. For large datasets, consider grouping lines using colour and symbols.
- Select 'Symbol Line' under 'Line' as the Chart Type
- Create Calculated Field named 'First name only label':
CASE WHEN Year T = MIN(Year T) OVER(PARTITION BY Name) THEN Name END
- Drag 'Year' to Y-Axis
- Drag 'Rank' into 'X-Axis'
- Drag 'Name' into 'Series'
- Turn on Tooltips.
- Drag 'National Count' into 'Tooltip Field 1'. Click on the field -> Format -> Display as 'Number'.
- Drag 'National Count' into 'First name only label'.
- In Chart Properties, configure the following:
- General -> Line Thickness: Medium
- Legend → Portrait View Legend Position: Top
- Legend → Landscape View Legend Position: Top
- Gridlines -> Zero Line Color: FFFFFF
- Gridlines -> 'Hide All Grids' checked
- Gridlines -> 'Remove Min/Max/Avg Lines' checked
- Data Label Settings -> Text as '%_TOOLTIP2'
- Value Scale (Left) -> Title: Rank
- Value Scale (Left) -> Max: 5 (if only top 5)
- Value Scale (Left) -> Include Zero: No
- Last Value Projection -> Project Using: No Projection
- Multi-Period Projection > Projection Controls: Hide
- Hover Text Settings -> Hover Text as
%_SERIES_NAME | %_CATEGORY_NAME: %_TOOLTIP1 babies
- 10.6K All Categories
- 8 Connect
- 918 Connectors
- 250 Workbench
- 477 Transform
- 1.8K Magic ETL
- 69 SQL DataFlows
- 478 Datasets
- 218 Visualize
- 260 Beast Mode
- 2.1K Charting
- 12 Variables
- 88 Cards, Dashboards, Stories
- 19 Automate
- 356 APIs & Domo Developer
- 89 Apps
- 3 Workflows
- 20 Predict
- 5 Jupyter Workspaces
- 15 R & Python Tiles
- 249 Distribute
- 65 Domo Everywhere
- 243 Scheduled Reports
- 21 Manage
- 42 Governance & Security
- 191 Product Ideas
- 1.2K Ideas Exchange
- 11 Community Forums
- 27 Getting Started
- 14 Community Member Introductions
- 55 Community News
- 4.5K Archive