Exporting as .xlsx is exporting a 0 KB file when it worked for this card before?

We've got a card that is essentially a transposed Excel table. Employees have been able to export this card as .xlsx before with no issue. However, now Domo is exporting a 0 KB .xlsx file that when attempting to open, Excel says it is corrupted or an invalid file format. I can export the dataset powering the card just fine. Filtering the card down does not change the outcome. We can export as .csv just fine and then tranpose the data, but I want to get to the bottom of the issue at hand. Anyone experienced this before and found a fix? Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• @loganherzog Does your card have some data in it that might be problematic? Is this a pivot table card? Or just a mega table card? I would try recreating the card and see if the issue still occurs. Sometimes a card's properties get corrupted and I just end up re-creating the card. If you still encounter the issue after recreating the card from scratch, I would open up a ticket with support.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • @MarkSnodgrass Do you have an explicit example of what type of data would be problematic for an .xlsx export but not .csv? Maybe an entry with lots of spaces or tabs?

I just recreated the card from scratch and am getting the same error when exporting. This is a mega table card with 99 columns that is transposed in the row settings.

• @loganherzog send a support ticket. sounds like a bug.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • It does seem like a support ticket is in order. Mega tables are limited to 100 columns so you are pushing they edge. It is likely that they didn't test on edge cases with whatever recent enhancements they may have done.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Apologies if I shouldn't be commenting on an old post, but I came here looking for a solution to this same problem. It has always worked fine until just today. I only have 10 columns though. Was a resolution ever found?

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor

@BMilner transposed tables are retaining their format when I export to exls from my Domo instance - I just exported one to doublecheck.

Does the card display as expected when viewed in Domo? Have you tried rebuilding the card from scratch per Mark's suggestion above since it may have become corrupt? Is your export 0 bytes or does it appear to contain data that can't be read when you attempt to open in excel?

• @jessdoe thanks for the reply. Yes to all of your questions. It appears as expected, I've tried rebuilding from scratch, and it contains 0 bytes. I'm getting the following message:

"Excel cannot open the file 'FileName.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

• jessdoe
    jessdoe Contributor

@BMilner if the export from Domo is 0 bytes then there's nothing in the file. Only other things I can think of are trying in a different browser like firefox or clearing your temp files/cookies, closing your current browser, and trying again. There's also some stuff on microsoft forums on this issue that's unspecific to Domo but may help as far as resolution in the event you eventually get a file that's more than 0 bytes yet still doesn't render as expected in Excel. I wish I could be of more help. Hopeful someone else as some alternative solutions that'll stick for you.