Is Creating Year over Year comparison in a table possible with Beast Mode?

I know that there are "period-over-period" charts, but I need to build a YOY comparison in table format for a financial project.  Is this possible using Beast Mode calculations?  I've attached a picture threw together in excel showing the desired layout of my DOMO card as well as a very simple example of my dataset.  Please let me know if you have have any ideas, formulas, thoughts etc...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AS
    AS Coach

Yes, this is definitely possible.  We have a number of such cards in place.

The first thing to remember is that your card needs to NOT be filtered to just this year.  If you do that you'll be missing last year's values in the data and can't do the comparison.  So don't pick "This year".  That trips a lot of people up.

The second thing to remember is that you'll need to do conditional sums in your beast modes.  Something like this for current year:

SUM(CASE WHEN YEAR(`trx date`) = YEAR(current_date) THEN `CY Total $` END)

and last year:

SUM(CASE WHEN YEAR(`trx date`) = YEAR(current_date)-1 THEN `CY Total $` END)

Those are, in my opinion, the two most important concepts.  After that it's all details and working around your particular dataset.

Before period over period charts, th swas the only way to create this kind of comparison.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"