Calculating the average per day for a summary figure

I'm new to Beast Mode and have a problem I could use some help with. I've scanned through the docs, built a few simple Beast Modes and watched a few of the introductory videos. Put another way, I have no clue what I'm doing

Comments

• Is anyone able to help out with this request?

• Darius
    Darius Domo Employee

Hello DataSquirrel,

Please give the following Beast Mode a try and let me know how it goes. This assumes that "AssemblyDate" is a Date type field:

SUM(`PartsCount`)

/

COUNT(DISTINCT `AssemblyDate`)

If this presents an error in your card, please let me know what it is so we can investigate in more detail. Thank you!

Darius Rose
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks a lot for the answer. I played around with using COUNT(DISTINCT... and some other operations. I can see how this can help out, for sure.

Stepping back out from Beast Mode for a second, is it smarter to pre-process a lot of these summaries instead? For example, if I want to chart comparisons of worker productivity, I can pre-calculate their daily average for days they worked. (Or, better, an average by minute.) I guess I would add columns to my input with the same average value for a specific worker in every row.

I'm a database person...so it's proving a bit of a struggle for me to think properly about composing easily chartable data sets. With databases, an extra column is almost never the solution, but with Domo it seems like an extra column, or extra name-value pairs, are almost always a good idea. Any comments from people coming from databases to Domo would be much appreciated, but not just them...just copping to a bias/flaw in my habitual thinking.