Did you know? SQL dataflow tip

AS
AS Coach
edited March 2023 in Scheduled Reports

The dataflow text editor is pretty simple compared to other SQL enabled text editors out there.  You get to type your query without much assistance like you might find elsewhere.  On the plus side, however, there is some highlighting for reserved words (purple) and datatypes (green for numbers, red for strings):

sql editor highlights.JPG

Additionally, there is also a lesser-known autofill mechanism which can prove to save time and frustration.  

Want to insert the table name instead of copy/pasting or typing it?  Type the first letter and then hit CTRL+SPACE and see your input datasets that start with that letter:

dataflow editor autofill example.png

Did you also notice FROM in the list?  That's because this same shortcut key works for many reserved words as well, and I started with the letter F, so I'm seeing all of the tables and reserved words starting with F.  But you don't have to type the first letter.  Hit CTRL+SPACE without any hints and see all of the autofill options, which include all of the dataflow reserved words as well as all of your input datasets.  The drop down list actively filters as you type:

dataflow editor reserved words list.PNG

And my favorite (though this is a bit buggier), load up your column names if you can't remember exactly what they are:

dataflow editor columns list.PNG

For this last one, you have to alias your tables and provide the alias and dot operator first, then hit CTRL+SPACE, before you see the column names.  It does seem to be finicky and doesn't always work, but is pretty helpful when it does.

For you SQL dataflow people, try this out and comment below with any additional features you find.

Aaron
MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Best Answers

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓

@AS,

Thanks for sharing this tip!

• Canioagain
    Canioagain Contributor

Finally, this is awesome.  

• mlb
    mlb Member

Thanks for sharing this tip! This is an amazing time saver for making mysql data flows.

• AS
    AS Coach

UPDATE:

It appears Domo has made some changes to this feature, having automated the popup for reserved words and table names.  But I seem to have lost the ability to pull column names.

@DaniBoy would it be possible to get an official, current feature spec list from the PM over dataflow?

Aaron

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • mlb
    mlb Member
    Answer ✓

@AS If you type the table name, then a period, it will bring up the column names automatically.

• AS
    AS Coach

Thanks.  I'd still rather use the alias, but at least that has remained in some form.

Aaron

• Thanks @AS

@btm @JeriLarsen

Do we have an official document on the feature change per this thread?

Regards,

This discussion has been closed.