WOW comp calculation not correct

Options

Hello, I am looking at this Domo Card and the WOW Comp calculation looks incorrect.

Last Week Spend is $0 and Spend 2 weeks ago is also $0 but WOW is not 0%. Does anyone have any idea why this can be the case?

For reference:

LW Spend calculation:

sum((CASE WHEN ((FY Order = 0) AND (Fiscal Week No = (Current Week - 1))) THEN Amount_Cost END))

2 Weeks Ago Spend calculation:
sum((CASE WHEN ((FY Order = 0) AND (Fiscal Week No = (Current Week - 2))) THEN Amount_Cost END))

WOW Spend calculation:

((sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-1) then Amount_Cost end))

(sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-2) then Amount_Cost end)))
/
(sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-2) then Amount_Cost end))

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ColemenWilson
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hmm odd. 0/0 should return a null value not what you are seeing. Is there a reason you don't use the same logic from the WOW % as you do in the spend LW and spend 2LW columns? For example for Spend LW why don't you use:
    SUM(CASE WHEN Fiscal Week Index = Current Week Index - 1 THEN Amount_Cost END)

I'm thinking perhaps the issue is not with the WOW calc, but instead the other 2 calcs.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    edited June 2023
    Options

It looks like you are missing a minus sign in your beastmode. Additionally, change % calculation is: (New Value - Initial Value) / Initial Value. So I would write your WOW spend calculation as follows:

(SUM(CASE WHEN Fiscal Week Index = Current Week Index - 1 THEN Amount_Cost END)

-

(SUM(CASE WHEN Fiscal Week Index = Current Week Index - 2 THEN Amount_Cost END)))

/

(SUM(CASE WHEN Fiscal Week Index = Current Week Index - 2 THEN Amount_Cost END))

• Anna_Otake
    Options

Thanks @colemenwilson for your input!
    Totally my bad, I forgot to put the minus sign in the above description!

I have this as my calculation now and it's still not working.

((sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-1) then Amount_Cost end))

(sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-2) then Amount_Cost end)))
    /
    (sum(case when Fiscal Week Index=(Current Week Index-2) then Amount_Cost end))

• ColemenWilson
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi Anna,

It still looks like the minus sign is missing. Along with extra parentheses.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Can you try copying and pasting my beastmode into your card and seeing if that works?

• Anna_Otake
    Options

@colemenwilson hmm weird! When I copy and paste it into this comment section, the minus sign goes away.
    But this is what I have which is the same equation that you provided for me. I copy and pasted yours but nothing changed.

• ColemenWilson
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hmm odd. 0/0 should return a null value not what you are seeing. Is there a reason you don't use the same logic from the WOW % as you do in the spend LW and spend 2LW columns? For example for Spend LW why don't you use:
    SUM(CASE WHEN Fiscal Week Index = Current Week Index - 1 THEN Amount_Cost END)

I'm thinking perhaps the issue is not with the WOW calc, but instead the other 2 calcs.

• Anna_Otake
    Options

Great observation @colemenwilson!

Thank you for pointing that out, that was the issue!

• ColemenWilson
    Options

@Anna_Otake Awesome, glad I could help! I'd appreciate if you marked my solution as the answer :)