Show a card ONLY when a specific dashboard filter is in use

I have a card that I only want to show if only one option is selected in a dashboard level filter. Is this possible?

Best Answers

• mhouston
    mhouston Contributor
    Answer ✓

@AaronCrouch I don't believe this is possible in domo at this time, but you could submit it as an idea in the ideas exchange.

when you say only one option is selected - do you mean a specific value? one idea to explore could be creating a beast mode on your dataset that hyperlinks to the card you want to show only for that value. so when that value is filtered, you'd get the link and you could click over to the other card, otherwise the field would be blank.

• AndreaLovesData
    AndreaLovesData Domo Product Manager
    Answer ✓

One other thought - if the filter values are available within the dataset that the card would be built from, you could write a beast mode around the card metric(s) that would only display data when the filter criteria had been met. This can be computationally intensive and maybe a bit tricky to work out the correct logic based on your data, but it can definitely be done. This would mean the card would show no data until the case statement logic that would cause the metric to display was met, so it would still exist on the dashboard just with no data. It's probably not exactly what you want, but it could be a workaround.

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)

Answers

• mhouston
    mhouston Contributor
    Answer ✓

@AaronCrouch I don't believe this is possible in domo at this time, but you could submit it as an idea in the ideas exchange.

when you say only one option is selected - do you mean a specific value? one idea to explore could be creating a beast mode on your dataset that hyperlinks to the card you want to show only for that value. so when that value is filtered, you'd get the link and you could click over to the other card, otherwise the field would be blank.

• AndreaLovesData
    AndreaLovesData Domo Product Manager
    Answer ✓

One other thought - if the filter values are available within the dataset that the card would be built from, you could write a beast mode around the card metric(s) that would only display data when the filter criteria had been met. This can be computationally intensive and maybe a bit tricky to work out the correct logic based on your data, but it can definitely be done. This would mean the card would show no data until the case statement logic that would cause the metric to display was met, so it would still exist on the dashboard just with no data. It's probably not exactly what you want, but it could be a workaround.

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)

• Hey @AaronCrouch if you ended up managed to create that beast mode, would you be so kind as to share it? Thank you so so much!

• marcel_luthi
    marcel_luthi Coach
    edited July 2023

@AaronCrouch I had a similar situation and while I couldn't get the card not to show, I was able to get it to display no data when they don't limit to show information for a single customer, not sure if this might be helpful to you, so the cards show no Data until they actually narrow it down:

In my case each customer is identified by a unique ID, so I created the following Beast Mode Unique Accounts All :

SUM(COUNT(DISTINCT AccountId) FIXED())

Which tells me the total number of unique customers included in the current selection and then I use that in the filters section of the card as the last filter (so I could apply all others I wanted first)

You can take it one step further by replacing the No Data Message in the General properties to a more descriptive one, but you won't be able to tell when it's no data because of this filter or the others. This I think is along the lines of what @AndreaLovesData was suggesting.