Can I Create Variables in Beast Mode?

I'm trying to create a variable that I can reference a beast mode calculation, but it keeps on telling me "This calculation contained a syntax error".

Is it not possible to create variables in Beast Mode? Or am I just messing up the syntax?

I've tried:

set @month=1

set @month:=1

select @month=1

select @month:=1

But none of them work.

This is the first line of my beast mode calculation, and it's followed by a CASE statement.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Godzilla
    Godzilla Contributor
    Answer ✓

You can't create variables in beast mode.

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'

Answers

• Godzilla
    Godzilla Contributor
    Answer ✓

You can't create variables in beast mode.

Domo Arigato!

• Shucks.

Well, good to know, thanks.

• You can create a first Beastmode with a case statement but if you want to call it in other calculation, you will have to use the actual formula first created, otherwise it will give you a syntax error.
    Domo Arigato!

• Let's move to PowerBI where DAX easily allows you to create variables and use custom formulas inside custom formulas.. food for thought

• It is very unfortunate that we cannot introduce variables in Beast Mode and it has made my calculated fields look really convoluted and difficult to follow. I hope that we can see some improvements.

• mhouston
    mhouston Contributor

@Musetti I think this is currently in beta - they presented on the functionality at the user group community event. You can see the recording in this post: https://dojo.domo.com/main/discussion/55230/june-2022-user-group-recordings#latest