Beastmode to display Unique Values of a Dimension

Options
AO3
AO3 Member

In a mega-table in Domo I have a table like in the attached picture, and I want to add another value After "Inquiries", "Core Leads" and "MVA Inquiries". That value is a Dimension called "Creative Name". All of the Creative Names within a given week will be the same. So I'd just like the table to display that unique value, one time. But because it's a dimension, it doesn't work, I suspect because you can't aggregate a dimension. Is there a way with a beastmode that you can say "just give me the unique values of that dimension", which in this case would just be one single value.

Sorry this one was tough to describe so adding one bit of context. For a given week, the Creative Name would be something like "Good Morning", so that value will show up in every row when the mega table is doing its aggregation by "Week Start Date". What I'm hoping for is in the new row of the table (Creative Name), it shows the text "Good Morning", so we can see what Creative was running that week.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

@AO3 as long as there is only 1 CreativeName per week (or whatever your date grain is), you don't have to do anything special. Since you are aggregating Inquiries, Core Leads, etc. You can simply include CreativeName as a column and the card will do the grouping to display a single value. You can then just transpose the table to get the format you were looking for. Here is an example

Base table

Transposed

David Cunningham

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree 😀, Like 👍️, or Awesome ❤️ below **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! ✔️**

Answers

• DataMaven
    Options

Can you give a little more of an example of what you are looking for as your final result?

Also - this looks like a pivot table.

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • AO3
    AO3 Member
    Options

Hi @DataMaven this is a mega table, transposed. I attached a picture here of what I'm looking for as a final result. The problem seems to be that Creative Name is a string field, and can't be aggregated, so it shows as blank. But, within a given "Week Start Date", there is always only one unique value of "Creative Name". IE in the dataset, there may be 1,000 rows for week of 3-4-24, and the "Creative Name" for each one of those rows is the same — "Good Morning".

Maybe instead of dragging in the dimension "Creative Name", I should create a beastmode that somehow displays the unique value for Creative Name within a given Week Start Date?

• AO3
    AO3 Member
    Options

Here is the attachment

• david_cunningham
    edited May 1
    Options

@AO3

If you're looking to generate text dynamically. I'd recommend a beast mode that generates the text at an aggregate level based on whatever conditions generate your desired output text.

CASE WHEN SUM(TransactionNumber) > 15000 then 'Good Morning' else 'Good Night' end

It's important to do the aggregation at the same grain as your card aggregation. This will allow you to generate text as you said you wanted to do.

David Cunningham

• AO3
    AO3 Member
    Options

Well I can't hard code Creative Name values into a beastmode. Then we'd have to update the beast mode whenever a new Creative Name ends up in the dataset.

I'm looking to output the unique value(s) in "Creative Name" for a given Week. So filtering down to the Week of 3-4-24, for example, Domo would scan the "Creative Name" column and output the unique value(s) for that week.

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

@AO3 as long as there is only 1 CreativeName per week (or whatever your date grain is), you don't have to do anything special. Since you are aggregating Inquiries, Core Leads, etc. You can simply include CreativeName as a column and the card will do the grouping to display a single value. You can then just transpose the table to get the format you were looking for. Here is an example

Base table

Transposed

David Cunningham