How to apply filter to card that is always showing the most recent dataset update?

Options

I have a dataset that is aggregated by a calendar week number. How could I ensure that when a user goes to view a respective card, that they see the most recent week (even if the dataset hasn't updated in 2 or 3 weeks?)

i.e. the user views the card in week 15 but the dataset hasn't updated since week 13. So I would want the user to see week 13 (the most recently updated week). I couldn't apply show previous week filter since its two weeks away, right?

I also would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on how to apply an alert to one of these cards when the dataset updates and would send out the updated week only.

Thanks for all your help Domo community!

IF I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, PLEASE "ACCEPT" MY ANSWER AS A SOLUTION. THANK YOU!

Best Answers

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

You would want to use a Rank & Window tile in the ETL to assign the most recent data a value of 1. This will be used to filter in a beast mode. Say we call this MOST_RECENT_FLAG

You could then create a beast mode in the card, and filter to where most_recent_flag = 'Most Recent Data'

case when most_recent_flag = 1 then 'Most Recent Data' else 'Not Most Recent Data' end

In terms of a scheduled report, you could use the same filter to show only the most recent updates data.

David Cunningham

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree 😀, Like 👍️, or Awesome ❤️ below **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! ✔️**

• DataMaven
    DataMaven Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

What if it's triggered when the maximum week number changes?

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• david_cunningham
    Answer ✓
    Options

You would want to use a Rank & Window tile in the ETL to assign the most recent data a value of 1. This will be used to filter in a beast mode. Say we call this MOST_RECENT_FLAG

You could then create a beast mode in the card, and filter to where most_recent_flag = 'Most Recent Data'

case when most_recent_flag = 1 then 'Most Recent Data' else 'Not Most Recent Data' end

In terms of a scheduled report, you could use the same filter to show only the most recent updates data.

David Cunningham

• pauljames
    pauljames Contributor
    Options

That's a great idea. But what about the trigger value change that would prompt a scheduled report send?

IF I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, PLEASE "ACCEPT" MY ANSWER AS A SOLUTION. THANK YOU!

• DataMaven
    DataMaven Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

What if it's triggered when the maximum week number changes?

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • david_cunningham
    Options

Good idea @DataMaven! Triggering off of the max week changing would be a good solution. @pauljames you would calculate this column in your ETL as well.

David Cunningham