Scheduled reports, permissions + PDP

Options

Hi,

When sending a board to another user via the Send Now option the other user must have permission to view the dataset. Do they also need permission to the board you are sending?

Thanks

Answers

• ColemenWilson
    Options

They do not need permission to the dashboard to see the scheduled report. But as you mentioned, if PDP is enabled for data used on the dashboard they will not see (or see a different view) of the cards powered by data with PDP enabled.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited April 5
    Options

@ColemenWilson Thanks. I have the dataset shared with everyone via the Default group.

Oddly when I share the actual dashboard the email comes out fine. This added them to the dataset by name rather than via group. I then removed the board from them and removed them from the dataset by name and just left as above by group.

The email continued to work…

Any ideas?

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Are you trying to stop them from receiving the scheduled report all together? If so, go MORE > ADMIN > Scheduled Reports > click the kebab icon (3 dots) > Edit Schedule > and then add or remove recipients

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    Options

No I'm trying to allow them to receive it by adding the "Default" (contains all users) group to the dataset permissions.

I can only get it to work by sharing the actual board with them.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Not really sure I am following what the problem is. If PDP is not enabled on the data, you don't have to share the dashboard or dataset(s) with them for them to receive scheduled reports and see all data. If PDP is enabled, then you will need to add users to the PDP policies as you see fit.

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    edited April 5
    Options

Hi, sorry for the confusion. The dataset has a PDP policy so I needed to explicitly add them to the dataset. The trouble is adding them by group or by name to the dataset still causes a "Private Dataset" message in the email.

It is only when I share the whole board with them that the email works correctly. Once I unshare the board the email still works which is strange.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

Interesting. The key consideration here is whether or not the PDP policies are configured properly. Is everything currently working as needed?

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    Options

Yes when I share the board the email is filtered by the PDP policy perfectly

• Jones01
    Jones01 Contributor
    Options

Hi, I've worked out that the card must be shared with the user for them to be able to see it in a scheduled email.