Issues with Average Function

Options

I have detailed biweekly pay data where I am looking for the average hours worked in every region per week (using a basic calculated field). This functioned well for 6 months but became an issue at the start of the year. Rather than finding my typical averages, suddenly the data is showing me trillions of hours in every region. My support team told me I have a excel/date formatting issue, but even after fixing this the averages are not working. If I pull a sum, the hours look reasonable, but if I change the aggregate on my card from Sum to Average, again the average fails. I attempted to reupload my 500,000+ datasheet hoping it would fix what might have broken earlier in the year but this also was no help. I don't know what else to do.

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you attempted to do the average in a beast mode?

SUM(`Work Hours`) / SUM(1)

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• WyattM
    WyattM Member
    Options

Are you manually uploading into domo from your spreadsheet? First step in validation would be to make sure your average function still works in excel. Then, I'd try uploading a small subset of the data (maybe just this week's averages?) to try and see if the issue persists.

• MisterJimenez
    Options

Yes, I was manually uploading into domo from Excel. I have exported the data from DOMO to Excel to include the last 365 days' worth of data (as it would appear in my card), pivoted to get the average and it looks just fine. I did the same to my most recent report (this week's upload) prior to uploading to DOMO and it too looks as expected. After uploading this new test data set into DOMO, I took it to Analyzer, selected my Regions on x axis, put my hours on y axis and I still see trillions using any kind of average function.

• MichelleH
    Options

@MisterJimenez Could you please share a screenshot of what you see in Analyzer?

• MisterJimenez
    Options
  • MichelleH
    Options

@MisterJimenez What chart type are you using? Is it the standard bar?

• MisterJimenez
    Options

Yes, that is the standard bar.

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you attempted to do the average in a beast mode?

SUM(`Work Hours`) / SUM(1)

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MisterJimenez
    Options

I did not try that! This seems to have done it!

Why does this work when the other methods fail?