Accounts with Profit Sharing Formula and Filter

Options

Hello,

We've got some customers that have profit sharing rules in place. As my data comes over it doesn't take this into account so it shows full profit attributed to us. I'd like to have a filter to toggle profit sharing on or off to show either full profit or the profit taking into account the sharing. If, for example, I have CUSTOMER A that we only get 50% of the profit after sharing how would I best go about this? Could I just make a formula to adjust the profit on each account and the percent they should get? And then could I use that beast mode to make a filter on the dashboard or is that built separately?

Thanks!

Sam

Best Answers

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would have a table of profit share per customer like

Customer | Share

Customer A | 50%

Customer B | 100%

Then I'd join that table to full profit data, so I have a 'Share' value for every row. A BeastMode could then calculate the "Profit after sharing".

You can create filters on your dashboard using any column in your dataset. If you want to filter on a BeastMode, just make sure you click the option to share it to the dataset.

You could create some tables or visuals that include both the total profit and the profit after sharing. I'm not 100% sure I understand how you're thinking about the filter, but if you wanted it to switch between 'Total Profit' and the 'Profit after sharing', then you could use a 'variable' to create a control that switches between those two metrics: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/7903767835031?language=en_US

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@SamanthaC I'd suggest adding a file upload/webform dataset that includes a list of all profit sharing customers and their respective profit sharing rates. You can then join your source data to this table on Customer Name/ID in a MagicETL, then use a formula tile to add the following calculations:

Profit Sharing Flag:

case when `Profit Share %` is not null then 'Profit Sharing' else 'Not Profit Sharing' end

Profit Share Amount:

`Profit`*ifnull(`Profit Share %`,1) 

You could also accomplish this in Beast Mode, but using a master table allows you to keep your two calculations in sync and can be reused across multiple datasets/dataflows.

Answers

• DavidChurchman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would have a table of profit share per customer like

Customer | Share

Customer A | 50%

Customer B | 100%

Then I'd join that table to full profit data, so I have a 'Share' value for every row. A BeastMode could then calculate the "Profit after sharing".

You can create filters on your dashboard using any column in your dataset. If you want to filter on a BeastMode, just make sure you click the option to share it to the dataset.

You could create some tables or visuals that include both the total profit and the profit after sharing. I'm not 100% sure I understand how you're thinking about the filter, but if you wanted it to switch between 'Total Profit' and the 'Profit after sharing', then you could use a 'variable' to create a control that switches between those two metrics: https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/7903767835031?language=en_US

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓
    Options

@SamanthaC I'd suggest adding a file upload/webform dataset that includes a list of all profit sharing customers and their respective profit sharing rates. You can then join your source data to this table on Customer Name/ID in a MagicETL, then use a formula tile to add the following calculations:

Profit Sharing Flag:

case when `Profit Share %` is not null then 'Profit Sharing' else 'Not Profit Sharing' end

Profit Share Amount:

`Profit`*ifnull(`Profit Share %`,1) 

You could also accomplish this in Beast Mode, but using a master table allows you to keep your two calculations in sync and can be reused across multiple datasets/dataflows.