Failed to Execute - Domo Workbench

Options
pauljames
pauljames Contributor
edited March 14 in Workbench

Hi All, I'm getting this error when trying to execute workbench job.

"Position is not in format ColumnNameRowName."

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

IF I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM, PLEASE "ACCEPT" MY ANSWER AS A SOLUTION. THANK YOU!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited March 15 Answer ✓
    Options

I haven't used pivot tables as source myself, so I can't answer that. But I don't think WorkBench wouldn't care as long as you can define the area of rows & columns.

Example, I screenshot this image from an online pivot table example (below). If I set WorkBench to read the whole table I would expect it to fail.

But you can tell it the sheet and the start and end points for your data. So you can tell Workbench to use data from A4 through I11 and it would have no trouble. But if I tried to include row 3, it would have a problem because row 3 has 2 fields available and row 4 has 9. That's a mismatch. Does it create a dataset of 2 fields or 9? It can't do both. So it would error.

The error you mention could also be caused by something in the data or formatting causing it to think its not in the simple row by column format. A filter dropdown like shown in the example may cause an issue. Or bad date formatting or errant characters or something.

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

Answers

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited March 14
    Options

The error indicates that there's an issue with the way you're referencing positions in your Workbench job. Make sure your fields are in the correct order and that the data structures match. Such as date formats.

Oh….also make sure you have your data laid out without merged rows. All rows should lay out with specific columns. If you have headings over the top of columns of data….remove the headings so Workbench can see the layout as

ROW1 COLUMN1 COLUMN2 ETC
    ROW2 COLUMN1 COLUMN2 ETC
    ROW3 COLUMN1 COLUMN2 ETC

• pauljames
    pauljames Contributor
    Options

I'm using an excel file that is a pivot table, it needs to stay in this pivot table view since i'm connecting to an internal data warehouse. Would that have anything to do with it?

• pauljames
    pauljames Contributor
    Options

It's called an OLAP query. @ArborRose

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited March 15 Answer ✓
    Options

I haven't used pivot tables as source myself, so I can't answer that. But I don't think WorkBench wouldn't care as long as you can define the area of rows & columns.

Example, I screenshot this image from an online pivot table example (below). If I set WorkBench to read the whole table I would expect it to fail.

But you can tell it the sheet and the start and end points for your data. So you can tell Workbench to use data from A4 through I11 and it would have no trouble. But if I tried to include row 3, it would have a problem because row 3 has 2 fields available and row 4 has 9. That's a mismatch. Does it create a dataset of 2 fields or 9? It can't do both. So it would error.

The error you mention could also be caused by something in the data or formatting causing it to think its not in the simple row by column format. A filter dropdown like shown in the example may cause an issue. Or bad date formatting or errant characters or something.